speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Weldy, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I am having a home theater cabinet built in that I am desgining my self. My question is where to put my floor standing speakers. Either leave them on the floor or elevate them some 30 inches. I have a small picture of them elevated temporarly on tv trays. I am just wondering if this will be to high. Or even for a second question should I trash these speakers and just get a set of satelites and mount them to the wall.
    Thanks
    http://www.geocities.com/mweldy1

2. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

sorry but the picture is not working. The top of the speaker will be 57 inches high. Is that two high.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

matt -

you'll want the speakers elevated so that the tweeters are approximately at ear level at your seating position. this will help provide the most accurate imaging. tweeters (more or less) fire straight ahead. if the speaker is too high or low the sound may appear "muddy".

one thing i'm concerned about is putting any type of speaker into an enclosed space. usually speakers need room to breathe...especially if it's a rear-ported speaker.

if getting new speakers is a viable option, i would definitely recommend that route instead. then, if you get a matching sub, you'll have a really nice ht speaker setup.

4. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

the space would not be totally enclosed. There would be speaker mesh on the front instead of a door and ports in the back for the speaker cooling. It would only look enclosed from the outside. Would a small satelite package work as good as my floor standing speakers. Right now all I would want to spend for speakers is around maybe 600.00. Something I can buy from best buy. Like maybe a higher end sony set or jbls or something of that nature.

Thanks

5. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Matt,

For inexpensive, but good sounding small speakers look at Energy Take 5, or Acoustic Resarch pkgs. Paradigm is also very nice but a little higher priced. Any of those would be much better than sony or jbl.

6. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

Thanks, I just got back from a higher end store (not best buy) and I listened to the ar speakers and I pretty much fell in love. I dont have to buy the speakers tomorrow I have some time. So I'll do my homework and go from there. Thanks for your imput,

7. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

I don't have Best Buys in Utah, but I think I recall that they have AR at very good prices.