Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Simon, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

Hello. I would like to get your opinion on the placement of 'surround' speakers. I have CSW (Cambridge Soundworks) Model 5.1, which have both BiPolar and Dipolar settings.
    I have read so much about where to place surrounds; Many are conflicting opinions. Here are the options pertaining to my room:
    OPTION1:
    On the BACK wall; ~2' behind the viewers/listeners. Placed low; ~4' off the floor.
    OPTION2:
    On the BACK wall; ~2' behind the viewers/listeners. Placed high; close to the ceiling.
    OPTION3:
    On the SIDE walls; Placed high; very close to the ceiling.
    Unfortunately, I cannot place low and to the sides as there is a sliding glass door to the listeners-right-side. As a side note, the ceiling is standard (US) 8' height.
    Other questions I have:
    --Is it OK to mount the speakers flush against the wall?
    --In general, would BiPolar or DiPolar be preferred?
    http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/c...rround_blk.htm
    Thanks for your time.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Try it any and every way you can. It's subjective. What I like, you may not.

I have direct radiators at ear level pointed straight at my head, 2 feet behind and 11 feet apart.

I move them every month or so just so I don't miss anything.

Good Luck!

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    In a 5.1 system, bipoles/dipoles are supposed to be on the side walls, aligned with the listening position, with the drivers facing the front and rear of the room to create diffused sound. In a 7.1 system, I have seen the rear surrounds be either monopole or bi/di on the sides AND rear with all of them mounted relatively high. I wouldn't mount them RIGHT by the ceiling - maybe a 6" to 1 ft below.
    Paradigm's literature shows their ADPs sitting on stands in the corner, at an angle, towards the side and rear walls for diffusion. I kind of like this idea...worth an experiment anyway. I have monopoles (Titans) for my rears though.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Option 3 to start...

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

dolby recommends placing behind the listener, about 2-3 feet above.

typically direct radiators are behind the listener, di-poles are to the side.

but, as already stated, i would experiment. whatever sounds best to you is the way to go. you have to remember to factor in other things, like the room shape, furniture, is the room hard or soft (acoustically speaking), etc.

so, there really is no "golden rule"...

6. Kevin Simon

Kevin Simon Extra

Thanks for everyone's input and reply. As many agree that experimentation is key, what about if I invest in some nice stands, say some ~4' high. Then I can place behind, to the sides, or whatever. This would not be to test and then mount on the walls once I find the most desired arrangement, as stands aren't cheap, but I don't really care as we are in a condo which we plan on selling in the next 2-3 years...thus, a permanent install is not required.

The advantage is would be I could store them behind the listening area, and pull them out and to the sides for serious DVD viewing. I could put that flex tubing stuff over the wires to make it all look tightier.

Disadvantages would be the inconvenience, it looks "less cool," and...

One thing though. CSW surrounds weigh about 10lbs each, and the stands would be on plush caret, so they need to be sturdy.

Any stand recommendations???

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Something with spikes.
    Or, you could get some inexpensive bar stools, use them for occasional seating and then whip 'em out for movies.
    Plenty stable, and I see them around for $10 each.
    I'll buy some and sell 'em later as "stands" and make a fortune!
    Who's with me??
    [​IMG] [​IMG]