What's new

speaker placement. (1 Viewer)

Bobby J.

Auditioning
I have a yamaha 7.1 rx-750 av receiver which i have not used yet.my question is according to the manual i should place the surround speakers at 6 feet above the floor and the surround back speakers at 6feet above the floor.Does this seem to high?I am getting ready to hang drywall in this area so i need to know before i do this.I am planning in wall speakers on the surround back.All speakers wires will be behind the drywall.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your speakers should ideally be about ear level when seated. 6' is very high for your front speakes, but for the rears it would probably be OK.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone see a problem with attaching the surrounds to the ceiling, but pointed at where everyone will be sitting?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think the 6 foot front speaker thing is for the *presence* speakers...not the mains. double-check.

like john said, ear-level is best for the fronts. but for the rears, a little high is okay. remember that your rears should provide a more ambient/diffused effect except for localization fx (like bullets, etc).

check out dolby.com as well: http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...html#placement

finally, i gotta say nothing beats experimentation. problem is in-walls use the wall for the baffle, and since you're hanging sheetrock, you have no baffle to help you determine how the sound will be. if you really want to be sure, just run some extra speaker wire to various locations...that way you'll have it in place just in case.

kevin - surrounds in the celing are okay if you can aim them towards the listening position. many of the in-walls now have pivotable tweeters - that should help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks