speaker placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterK, Jul 31, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I am wonder what kind of height I should be placing my speakers. when i am in my movie chair, the center is about a foot above my head, the surrounds are about 2-3' and the mains are sitting on the floor. My main concern is the mains. should the be sitting on the floor or should I elelvate them to eye level for the best sound.
    thanks!!!

2. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    Ideally, your mains should be positioned on either side of the screen so that the tweeters are at the level of your ears when you are in your listening position. The amount of toeing is personal; usually whatever sounds best to you. Obviously, with your screen between the mains, the center will usually have to be situated either above or below the screen; whichever leaves the center closest to the level of the mains tweeters. The center can be canted up or down as necessary. Some types of screens will allow you to place the center behind the screen. The surrounds usually sound best about 3 feet or so above ear level and slightly behind you.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I'd change Jim's advice a bit. Ideally you would like the tweeters on all 3 front speakers to be the same height from the floor. Then, ideally this would be at the same height as your ears while sitting.

Since this is usually impossible with the center, you can angle the center down a bit by putting rubber-erasers or door-wedges under the center to give some downward tilt. (This also decouples the center speaker from your television which could be muffling the sound.)

Get a inexpensive laser-pen and use it to see where your speakers are pointing. Get the longer pen-style, not the little keychain "bullet" style. Roll it on the floor and watch the spot on a wall a few feet away. If the spot does not go in circles when you roll the pen, the laser-pen is a good alignment tool.

I also prefer the rear speakers to be at ear-level as well, but not everyone agrees with this. So play around and decide for yourself.