Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Robert.CB, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Robert.CB

Robert.CB Agent

Jan 17, 2003

I am in the process of finishing my design plans for my dedicated home theater room. My first idea was to build regular tower (front channel) and center channel speakers into the wall behind or around the screen, but wondering now if that's not the best for sound production in the room. Is it best to leave the speakers free standing or to build them into the wall? Is it best to place them behind the screen or beside and above it.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
  2. gene c

gene c Producer

Aug 5, 2003
    Hello Robert! Of course the bad thing about in-wall placement is once they are in there it's a lot of work to move them should you want to in the future. They sure look cool in the wall though. Really gives the room an expensive custom-made look. Keep in mind though that speaker placement is critical. Sometimes moving a speaker a few inches one way or another or turning it a little can really effect the sound. When I am sitting on my couch, the bass sounds nice but if I move up about a foot, the rear surrounds really come alive. Unfortunatlly the bass all but disappears. I need to look into this in the future. But I can easilly change things. In the wall you may not be able to. If you can do a "test run" before construction it may be worthwhile. By the way, I have two Yamaha 8" bookshelfs mounted behind a wall in another room and I'm glad I like them because they are there for good! Major construction to get them out. Anyway, in walls are nice, just make sure the sound will be good before you cut the holes. Gene