What's new

speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Joe DC

Agent
Thanks for answering my first question about system wiring. Can you pls. tell me something about speaker placement? I am currently running a 5.1 system but am having a difficult time understanding how high to mount my L/R surrounds above the seating area. I would like to know also if you mount them slightly ahead of the main seating area or exactly midline, or slightly behind me from where I would be sitting. Also, pls. tell me how far I should have my front L/R speakers from my TV?? They are magnetically shielded, but if I want a wider soundstage, should I move them farther. FYI, I'm sitting about 10.5' away from the TV. Thanks ahead of time!

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
Assuming that your surround speakers are direct radiating, I would put them slightly behind your listening position, about 110 degrees, and about 3 feet above your head when you are sitting if possible. Also, point them directly at each other. What ever you do, don't mount them forward of your position. As far as the front L/R speakers go, ideally they would be as far apart from each other as they are from you, essentially making an equilateral triangle, and toed in slightly toward the listening position. The amount of toe in will have to be determined by your own testing. Generally speaking, less toe will give a wider soundstage sacrificing imaging, and vice versa. Also, they will generally give better imaging the farther out you can get them from the wall behind them. At the very least, you want the front plane of the speakers to be forward of the front plane of the tv. Lastly, tilt the center speaker up or down, depending on where it is located, so that it fires at ear level when you are seated, and also try to position it slightly forward of the face of the tv. Calibrate all speaker levels with test tones and an analog Radio Shack SPL meter. Of course, all of this is totally dependant on the dimentions and layout of your room. In other words, don't try to go with the equilateral triangle idea if that jams your speakers up against the side walls or other obstructions etc... By the way, what are your rooms dimensions and layout?

Joe DC

Agent
Thanks for the quick response. My room dimensions are roughly 26' long by 20' wide; the ceiling is 7.4" high. I'm sitting 10.5' from a 61"HD RPTV and my front L/R towers are 6.25' away from each speakers midpoint. My center channel sits atop the TV and is about 5.25' from the floor to its midpoint. Oh, and by the way my L/R surrounds are bipole/dipole speakers. I'm also planning to purchase the same speakers for rear fill. Thx. for any input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks