speaker placement

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CalvinClem, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CalvinClem

CalvinClem Auditioning

I am moving into a new home. I will try to visualize the room. The previous owner had theater wiring for 5.1. Wiring for rear speakers is on back wall while front/centre wiring is inset in front wall by tv. I do not think 7.1 is possible, right "side" surround speaker would have to be located on staircase wall. I think there would be too much loss of sound due to hallway on stairway portioned wall plus wire would have to run under carpet. Since rear speakers will be on back wall, should I go with direct radiating or dipole? Keep in mind one speaker will be in corner of the rear wall where it forms a 90 degree angle with adjacent wall while the other speaker has no adjacent wall. Any ideas? anyone have install experience with similar scenario either 5.1 or 7.1? The easiest way to picture room is a set up without one side wall except for a portion where a staircase is located (basically open area on staircase side)

2. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

I would go for floorstanding speakers all round, reason being dipole and bipole require walls all round, I have walls all round and still went for floorstanding, means if I want to change my room around later I can, with dipole/bipole you will be limited, just place the floorstandings beside you sounds great.
    I went to dolby.com for ideas, and the dts site.

3. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Follow Nick on www.dolby.com for diagrams on preferred and alternate surround speaker placement. If it was my home I would make a wall in near the stair alcove. 7.1 is the way to go. I would use all monopoles (direct-radiating) sats. The picture on this web site is a good setup: www.mkprofessional.com