Speaker placement?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave St Louis, Jul 27, 2003.

1. Dave St Louis

Looking to mount my new SB3 NHTs, and I'm wondering about how high to mount them.For the fronts, is it ok to mount them about 6 feet from the floor and angle them down? Or will this effect the sound? They have to be mounted on the wall, not on stands. What about the rears? Can they be higher yet, and should they angle down? The room is about 12x16ft, but the roof is all open concept and is peaked with about a 20 ft height.

2. Dave St Louis

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

From Dolby Labs website: 3. Speaker placement

4. Tom_Es

Tom_Es Auditioning

Localization could be an issue, especially if you are using it for movies. It is typically recommended to have speakers mounted ear level, pointing straight forward (vertically, horizontally, some people prefer toed in)

Back speakers SHOULD be mounted higher (1-2 feet higher than ear level, to improve envelopment and make it harder to pinpoint). If you are going for 5.1, note that you put the speakers on the side walls, pointing 'inwards', slightly behind the listeners ears.

Of course, many times one has to compromise, and some people have a harder time accepting those, than others, so it is ultimately up to you.

5. Tom_Es

Tom_Es Auditioning

Phil posted an EXCELLENT illustrated guide in the meantime, so I guess my previous post wasn't necessary [​IMG]

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Dave,

I have my system set up with the front 2 (FL, FR) speakers mounting hanging from the ceiling and the center sitting on the entertainment center. I've also 'rigged' up the FL and FR to be ear level while seated and moved the center down a bit for fun (just kind of rigged a couple of makeshift stands up out of boxes, etc.) I found that the difference between 6.5' high and 3' high was negligible. But the factors I discovered DID make a big difference in the front speaker array:

* As stated above (fig. C), keep the FL and FR aligned with the Center speaker.

* Also be sure the FL and FR are at the approximate same height as the center speaker. This really helps the sound be more uniform.

* Pull the speakers out from the walls at least 18", and 18" from any corners as well. I don't know why this made such a big difference, but it really does greatly improve the sound. Don't mount them directly on the walls unless the small size of the room neccessitates it.

* You can mount any side and rear speakers directly to the walls and place them higher if you want. Their placement are not as crucial to getting good acoustics.

Other than that, the post above is just fantastic! Follow those rules and throw in my tips here for a super setup.

7. Dave St Louis

Thanks guys!![​IMG]