Speaker Placement with two row seating...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack Shappa, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Greetings,

I'm new to this forum and am glad to have found it! What a great resource...

I'm setting up a 6.1 home theatre with two rows of seating (one in front of the other). Since the recommendation for surround speakers is to the side, and slightly behind the listening area, what should I do about the second row of seats? Should I

a) Put the speakers to the side and slightly behind the second row (will this mess up the effect for the front row)?

b) Buy a second pair of surround speakers and have one set to the side of the first row, and the second set to the side of the second row (ala movie theatre setup?)

I'll assume the surround back speaker just goes in the back behind everything [​IMG]

Thanks a lot!

- Jack

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Bi/Dipoles should not be behind the linstener, but right inline with them, leaving the listener in the "null" area, so that you are only getting reflected sound, not direct.

If you get a second set of surrounds, you will also need additional amplification for them. It seems like you would be better served by a 7.1 setup than a 6.1 setup, providing your room is actually large enough.

If you won't have people in the second row all the time, line up the side surrounds with the front seating position, or split the difference between the two rows.

3. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Thanks for that quick reply!

If I go to a seven speaker set-up (the room is big enough) and put two speakers behind everything, but the side surrounds between the first and second rows, won't the second row get "cheated" out of some of the effect (especially "directional" sound) or do you think those rear surround will make up for it?

I think both rows will be used equally...

- JS

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd say with a 7 speaker setup, nobody should be missing anything.

I've sat in a room with a very nice two row setup, and the side surrounds were dipoles, just slightly behind the first row, with a fair amount of room to the rear wall. This was a 5.1 setup only. I sat in the second row, and it sounded fine, no directionality to the surrounds. What you will most likely have to do is experiment with placement until you find the right blend.