Speaker placement/ Will seven be better?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Franklyn, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Franklyn

Franklyn Auditioning

I've got a 16x19 home theater room with two "rows" of seating, the second (back) being on a six inch riser. I set the side surrounds (Monitor Audio) just behind the second row on the side wall of the room. My question is: Will adding rear surrounds add much if I place them on the back wall? This would make them only 4 feet away physically from the side surrounds. The second row of seating is about two feet away from the back wall so they would also be very close to where you would be seated in the second row. When I wired the room I read somewhere that putting the side surrounds in front of the listening postion resulted in a disorientation of the soundfield where the sound doesn't make sense. As a result I placed the side surrounds well back in the room so that they were behind both listening positons. Should I consider moving them if I add back surrounds? I am 60/40 music over HT im my listening habits. I've got a 7 channel receiver so its no trouble to make the change there. Also, with two rows does anybody have any suggestions as to how best to set up the speaker delays for the best "overall" sound?

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I believe in 7 channel I read that the side surrounds should be just forward of your listening position, so you would probably want to move them forward.
    WIth 2 rows and the good size room you have, it would probably be a nice improvement though.
    BB

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

My limited experience/trials of adding back surrounds proved, to me, that back surrounds do enhance the rear surroundfield, but not in any significant way. With proper setup of side surrounds, you will be 90% there, IMO.
    Pete