speaker placement (too spread or off-center?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob White, May 8, 2001.

1. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

After reading the forum for a month or so this is my first post. I'm positioning a non-dedicated home theater in a new bedroom my wife and I are adding onto our house. I have purchased the new Onkyo 595 receiver and the Energy Encore speaker system.
    My problem is that my television is off center opposite the bed and I'm not sure where to put the right front speaker. The left front must go almost 5 feet left of the center of the tv because of an open hallway just left of the tv. The right front speaker can either go only 3 feet right of the tv or 5 feet away (which then places it attached to the side wall and with no rear wall behind it because of another hallway). Also with the "5 foot to the right placement", there will be a large (5 ft.) dresser about 3 feet in front of it on the side wall.
    So which is better?:
    1) to have 2 front speakers that are not the same distance from the center speaker but both mounted to a back wall.
    or
    2) to have 2 front speakers that are the same distance from the center speaker but spread out at a 10 ft from center distance (with a 14 ft. viewing/listening distance)
    Hope this all made some sense....
    Thanks, Rob
    ------------------
    Onkyo 595
    Energy Encores
    TV: TBA
    DVD: TBA

2. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Although a little confusing I think that your best option is Number 1. Either way it is not an ideal situation and by the sound of the room it never will be but a 15ft spread is really way too far for any kind of imaging unless you want to maybe toe in the speakers towards the seating area. Hopefully sometime your wife will allow you to actually use another room as your HT where you dont have to deal with all these problems right [​IMG]
    KyleS
    ------------------

3. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Welcome to the forum, Rob!
    Are these going to be in-wall speakers? If not, why not just tinker around, trying different distances and placements and seeing (or rather, hearing) which one you like best. After all, it doesn't matter what is theoretically mathematically correct if it doesn't sound good to your own ears!
    Good luck!

4. Rob White

Rob White Stunt Coordinator

Bob-
    The speakers are not in-walls. I am, though, running the wires before putting up the dry wall, so I'd like to know about where I should put them.
    ------------------
    Onkyo 595
    Energy Encores
    TV: TBA
    DVD: TBA

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Welcome to the madness !
    I have a similar situation, but it's a family room fireplace that is my menace.
    Definitely pick a Radio Shack SPL and balance your levels, it will make a dramatic improvement. I guess this goes for everyone, but especially for people with "balance impaired" rooms....
    Good Luck !