Speaker placement tip

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Ma, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Use two channel music to help with the placement of your left and right speakers.

Boy do I feel stupid. I rarely listen to music in my home theater room. Recently, I have been thinking something just doesn't seem right, exspecially after visiting another members theater.

I have a small room and was trying to maximize my speaker separation. If you look at my theater pics you will see my speakers close to the wall, toed in. I know the negatives of this but I thought the separtion out-weighed them.

Well tonight I put on some 2 channel music and sat in my listening spot. It sounded like crap! The separation was too much. Each side seemed to travel along each side of the rooms wall and in the middle of the room I was missing a stereo image.

I moved each speaker closer together and away from the wall for a better sound.

I don't think I would have been able to tell this with a movie soundtrack on. Sometimes some good 2 channel music is great for calibrating.

Bob

2. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Very nice Bob....That was the first thing I noticed...and you fixed already...speakers too close to the side walls. I wonder...is you center aimed at ear level?It looks like a great spot..but dont know how low you real sit. that might be a slight improvement with an adjustment there...and have you calibrated using avia or ve disks???

again very nice system...

3. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

Thanks Thomas,
    Great observation with the center channel. I already moved it on top of the RPTV about 6 months ago. I then lifted the back of it to tilt it down toward the listening area. It was a nice improvement.
    The previous spot (pictured) was nice for the front row but really blew for the back row since it was blocked.
    I want to tilt it a little more but I don't want it to slide off the TV [​IMG].
    Funny about disk calibration. If I calibrate with Video Esstionals I get this setup for 75db:
    Left........0
    Center......+2
    Right.......0
    Left Sur....+3
    Right Sur...+3
    Subwoofer...-6 or 7 can't remember
    Then with THX Optimizer from Star Wars PM:
    Left........0
    Center......+1
    Right.......0
    Left Sur....+1
    Right Sur...+1
    Subwoofer...-3
    And Finally, the SR-19s internal pink noise:
    Left........0
    Center......+2
    Right.......0
    Left Sur....0
    Right Sur...0
    Subwoofer...-7ish
    I have no clue which is more accurate and its frustrating that each produces different results. Curently I am using the THX Optimizer version, but I may set the sub down a db or 2 with that configuration.
    I do have a complaint still. Even though the center channel is balanced with the rest of the front stage, I sometimes like to bump it up a db or 2. It just never seems to have the impact the left and right has when its balanced. I end up listening to a movie around -12 -16 on the dial but when the action heats up I need to lower it to around -24 so my wife doesnt have a heart attack. Then back up to -16 for dialog. Maybe I should upgrade my center channel, don't know.
    Also, I set my peak Bass to -20db. I don't know much about this setting but its rumbles too much at higher levels.
    Bob

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I always run compression when wifey's in the house. DVD's dynamic range is just too much for her.

I listen at -10 or -20 from ref. normally, and she about takes my head off.

Keeps me from messin' with the volume all of the time.

- CM

5. Robert Ma

Robert Ma Second Unit

I also had my calibration wrong. I have been reading some threads about using sound meters and discovered I was doing it wrong.

Basically, I was turning the volume up until the front left speaker was 75db and balancing the rest at that volume.

Last night I set my volume to 0 (receivers reference) and then balanced the speakers. My setup is now:

Front Left: -3

Center: -1

Front Right: -4

Right Sur: -4

Left Sur: -3

Subwoofer: -7 (2db hotter than VE)

What a diffence. Wierd because you would think the numbers are not that much different from eachother, still 2 db more on the center, etc. But it sounds much better. Now when I listen at -10 it is loud and clear.

Thank you HTF! I find everything here.