Speaker Placement ? (Rears)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JeffHunter, Nov 22, 2003.

1. JeffHunter

JeffHunter Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I have a dilema on my hands. Directly behind the main seating position in my living room is a bay window which really rules out proper positioning of my rear speakers, they are of bookshelf size, but I have no where to put them [​IMG] ... or at least no *good* positioning, moving the furnature around is not an option, the lady won't have it.

So where should I be placing my speakers ? [​IMG] I'm throwing up a jpg of my general layout but it's not exactly to scale but is as close as I could get it with minimal effort.

to give you an idea of the scale, from the front of the entertainment unit to the front of the main couch is ~8-10 feet.

2. JeffHunter

blarg!

wwwDOTmdb-projectDOTcom/speakerplacement.jpg

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

? [​IMG]

4. JeffHunter

you need to have a cetain number of posts before you can type in urls / image links in your posts

5. MarkMac

MarkMac Stunt Coordinator

Jeff-I'm assuming based on your .jpg that you are talking about your surrounds. (a 5.1 setup--not 7.1) If that is the case, it looks as though placing them on the wall above your secondary seating and side table would be your best bet. While not ideal for those not in the Secondary Seating or the Lounger, it should work great for the Main Seating.

What type of surround speakers do you have? That will help in making the decision.

6. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I would suggest getting floor stands for them. Unless of course theres a reason for not doing it.

7. JeffHunter

I currently have a *REALLY* cheap pair of Sony's ... in the coming months I will be upgrading to JBL rears.

... and yes it's for a 5.1 setup ...

Mark,

I was thinking of building my own out of parts, a little DIY project. Although I would like a metal construct. I'll probably use piping and some l-Joints pipes, straight pipes & *maybe* l-Joint supports (to hold the speaker)

8. JeffHunter

oh right anyhow so as far as the speaker placement is concerned, that is what I was thinking about doing ... if I do that the rears will be in front (not by much) but still in front of the main seating position. Will that still sound like rears ?

9. JeffHunter

*bump*

10. Kevin Stewart

Kevin Stewart Second Unit

Kevin Stewart
    Jeff,

I have a similar set-up. I placed one bookshelf on a speaker stand that is basically in the corner by the side table (close to the corner of the room) and the other one on another stand opposite it (the other side of the bay window). I angled both speakers towards the center of the room (right at the coffee table, for example). It sounds very good from both seating positions, although obviously the sound is a little louder from the left rear when you're sitting in the secondary seats, but it's not that noticeable.

Stew