Speaker placement question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Flanagan, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Kevin Flanagan

In a few weeks I'll be moving into my new condo. The extra bedroom will make a nice HT, 10x20 ft. with a 10 ft. ceiling. The 10 feet space in the front only gives me two options for arranging the speakers and audio rack, given the assumption that the TV will be centered in the wall, and the speakers will be equidistant from the TV.
    1) The speakers are right next to the TV, to make room for the rack on the outside: [​IMG]
    I worry about having the speakers in this close, I think I'd get better imaging if they were out a bit.
    2) The speakers are right next to the walls, to make room for the rack on the inside: [​IMG]
    I'm not too wild about this either. I don't think speakers should be so close to the side walls.
    What I'd really like is for the speakers to sit equidistant between the wall and TV, but then I'd have nowhere for the rack.
    So the question is, do you think I'd have any issues running with one of the options above? Alternatively, have you ever seen any furniture that can act as both a short EQ rack, and a speaker stand as well?
    ------------------
    The Flaggville Home Theater Page

2. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the first option, but perhaps you can place your equipment rack at an angle in the corner, or against a side wall. This would give you a bit more separation for the speakers. I would not use option 2, because as you mentioned the speakers will be to close to the walls. I would also suggest you place the speakers a minimum of 4-5 inches in front of the T.V. for better imaging.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

From the looks of things, that rack is going to cause problems in that narrow space.
    Put the equipment rack to the side a few feet into the room. Then you just have to run a long video cable to the TV.
    If you dont already have the rack, make sure to go with a open-shelf rack or the cabinent will act like a big reflecting surface.
    Another idea: build a long shelf above the TV and put your components side-by-side. If you make the shelf stick out to match the front of your TV, you can hang black drapes, or speaker cloth to frame the sides and top of the TV (kind of like a whole-wall mask).
    Another idea: Build a low shelf IN FRONT of the TV so that all the equipment is below the bottom of the screen. This prevents the equipment from "squeezing" the speakers. I have seen several TV stands ment to hold a large TV that might do the job nicely as they have glass-front doors and a single shelf so it could hold 4 components.

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Another idea..
    What's on the other side of the wall behind the TV? On the other side of the side wall? Is it possible to put your equipment rack in an adjacent room or cut out a small "equipment closet" into one of those walls?
    If the rack is in an adjacent room, you could just run your cables through the wall, next to the carpet.
    Jeremy

5. Kevin Flanagan

Steve: I agree, I prefer 1 to 2. I know about letting the speakers be forward of the set.
    Bob: The EQ rack needs to be close to the TV and speakers. I don't want to be purchasing longer cables. Also, if I put the rack on the side wall, it would actually sit in between a speaker and a viewer. I like the shelf running above the TV idea, although it would make access a pain. I'll think about a large TV stand, but I don't know about raising the set higher, since it would mean also buying taller speaker stands.
    Jeremy: Wall behind the TV is neighbors, wall to the left is the plumbing stack, to the right is an exterior wall.
    Thanks for the ideas so far!
    ------------------
    The Flaggville Home Theater Page
    [Edited last by Kevin Flanagan on August 03, 2001 at 07:07 PM]