Speaker placement Question from newbie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Hi all:
    Am just about to purchase my first HT receiver, but have a question about speaker placement that WILL influence the receiver I buy (great deal going on a 5-channel H/K AVR520).
    My HT room is really a family room, sized 20*15, with one 20' side open to the kitchen and breakfast room. The 36" TV is set up on one end of the 20' length, and the main couch is against the wall at the other end of the 20' length. Viewing distance is about 15'.
    Since the main viewing couch is up against the rear wall, I will have to point the rear surrounds (in a 5.1 setup in from the side. However, if I were to add the 6th, or heaven forbid, a 7th channel (extra set of rear surrounds), where could I put these to have good sound? Moving the couch out from the rear wall a few feet is NOT an option - SAF I wouldn't want to put them right behind (i.e., within 1-2 feet of ear) the couch because of separation of sound issues.
    If I were to wall-mount the 6th or 7th channel (with a directional tweeter), would the sound compare to a set-up with external speakers? Or perhaps I could mount them on a bracket and point them down over our heads? I realize this would cut down on adjustment options for speaker placement. Still, would it offer the benefits of the 6th and 7th channel sound?
    If the limits of my room really prohibit a good 6 or 7.1 setup, it is PERFECTLY FINE with me. I am just trying to decide whether to go with a 5 channel amp at the moment (great deal) or spend more for a 6 or 7 channel amp.
    Thanks for your help.

2. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

ADDENDUM -

Note. Even if I were to wall -mount the 6th and 7th speakers, they would still be 2-3 feet right behind the ears...a little too close, I imagine? So the only option may be to mount them high and have them point down...but I am not sure how this will sound.

Mark

3. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

Mounting them high could work. It is certainly not the optimal placement, but I feel it still add to the surround experience. I have my 6th speaker mounted above my head on the ceiling and find that it sounds just fine. The bottom line is, though, that your arrangement is really better suited to 5 channels. Would 6 or 7 work? Yes, but not ideally. If you're looking at the 520 remember you could always add the 6th and 7th channels with an extra amplifier later on if you get tired of your 5.1 setup.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

a few people have recommended putting the speakers on the floor behind the couch with good results.
    i just recently (last night around midnight to be exact) moved my rears off the shelf above my head (my couch is also flat against the wall) to a position by my couch.
    i have them pretty much right beside and level with the arm-rest facing upwards.
    ironically when i recalibrated i had to *boost* the signals (using my spl of course). i would have thought i needed to turn them down.
    anyway, you may want to consider the facing the speakers upwards and see if that works for you. does the SAF factor allow the couch to be pulled out a little? [​IMG]
    also, check out the dolby.com site for speaker placement tips:
    http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3