Speaker Placement Problems. No walls. And Wife Does not want Speaker wire showing

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jon_Gregory, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

I just moved into my new house, which is great and all. But the only thing is that it is an open floor plan and my living room, kitchen, and dinning room are all one big room with high vaulted ceilings. With the way the TV is going to have to set, there will be no walls to mount my 3 rear speakers (6.1 system). I have pretty decent size rears also, so no dinky mount will do. Is it a good design and sound quality to mount speakers on the ceiling and point them to the sweat spot. I am looking at running the speaker wire up to the attic crawl space and mounting the speakers on the ceiling. If anyone has a similar situation and has a good solution, please let me know. The wife does not want speaker stands around the couch because she does no want wire running all over the place that can be seen. I could get away with this before we moved into the new house, but now she is not going to budge on this issue in the new house.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Do you have wall-to-wall carpet? If you do it’s not hard to hide the wiring.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I'm thinking one word.....basement. Us guys are always relegated to two places: the garage and the basement. as if we are embarassing or something.

Ceiling may be your only option if you have to have it upstairs. My question is this: even if it sounds good (i' don't think it will, depending how high up they are) would wifey let you punch holes in the ceiling? The heft of your surrounds will need more than 2 screws each, esp if they're going be almost upside-down. If you ever take them down, you have to patch it up and she may not even tolerate that.

Perhaps consider in-wall/ceiling surrounds. But they'll have to be permanent, though.

good luck, Jon

4. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

Ryan, you forgot about attic...

I don't think you'd be asking unless you had some kind of hard flooring and truly had no place to hide the cables... maybe you could try an area rug? or an a nice enterainment center that is wide enough that you could place the speakers on either side of entertainment center and have little visible cable... as for the surrounds you would need to get very creative with furniture placement and probably have to buy flat speaker cables...

if worse came to worst, then you could get one of those wireless speaker adapter thingies (ugh shudder...)

5. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Drill into the floor.

She'll never know [​IMG]

6. Jon_Gregory

Well there will be no drilling into the floor since I have a slab foundation. And I do have carpet Wayne, and I thought of running the wires under the carpet. But I nor my wife wants to be stepping on the wires. Do they make decent size flat wire?

7. tom derby

tom derby Agent

you'll never notice the wire. as long as there is a carpet and carpet pad under it. I ran wire for my theater under the carpet in the basement on a slab with commercial grade (really thin) carpet and you wouldn't know if you were stepping on the wires.

8. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Johnny N:

I don't think we have many attics here in Winnipeg. Must be the cold weather or somethin'. It's -43C with the windchill here yesterday. In fact, I've only been into one house where the attic is usable living space.

Jon:

Flat cable is available so you can't feel it under the carpet.

9. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Isn't that really expensive though?

10. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Mark bk:

Nope. Without buying brand name cable, you can go to Home Depot and buy a small spool of this stuff by AR (Acoustic Research?) I bought some years ago and something tells me it works out to be $1/ft. (I could be wrong)

11. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

It sounds to me like the strains of the oh so too familiar tune, "functionality taking a backseat to aesthetics" .
    See if you can talk the person wearing the pants in your family into letting you experiment with the setup of your system to see what placement delivers the best sound. Put the emphasis on it just being temporary. Once you determine where it ought to be, find solutions to allow you to keep it there. Sell her on how much better it sounds there compared to where the interior decorator/dictator of your family unit wants it.
    Just arbitrarily putting stuff here and there and living with it seems to negate any advantage of laying out the cash in the first place to my thinking.
    The former was my second suggestion.
    My initial suggestion would have fallen somewhere far outside the bounds of political correctness and politeness.
    It all comes down to each individual's tolerance level around "whether the ^%$#&* you're getting is worth the
    ^%$#&* you're getting".
    At my age, I've pretty much adopted a policy of zero-tolerance around this. But that's just me.

12. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Cary sounds divorced.[​IMG]

Jon, I'd suggests mounting the speakers to the ceiling, but build some sort of mounting extention, similare to what people use for their diy projector mounts. Have the rears hanging down around the appropriate placement level.

If not that I'd go with the flat speaker wire option under the carpet. I got that AR flat speaker wire from HD that Ryan was talking about. I got 50' of it for about 25 maybe 30 bucks. It's not expensive at all, well at least not at my local Home depot.

13. Jon_Gregory

LaMarcus, I have been looking for some extensions that will be able to hold my speakers. But I can not seem to find any for rather large surrounds. Are there any suggestions to any ceiling mounts out there.

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Some times you just got to be creative man. That will most likely mean you'll have to put some screw holes in your speakers. I know some people may frown at that idea, but some times you gotta do what ya gotta do. I had to put some screw holes in my JBL S-26's to mount them as surrounds. They weighted 25 pounds a piece (pretty big).

15. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

I still suggest you work at setting it up where it sounds best before doing anything permanently. Setup is everything. Even good stuff can sound like crap if poorly positioned. Experiment 'til you see where everything ought to be and try your best to arrive at solutions to please the boss.

No...Cary is not divorced. From day one he simply made it clear just where the lines are drawn and the location of the door leading out.

16. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Try something like this. You can get the Omni-mounts to hold over 100 pounds, the pipe-adapters allow you to place the speakers at an arbitrary height, and you don't need to drill any visible holes.

[​IMG]

The side surrounds are placed for minimal localization and interferance with the walls - 6' off the ground, 18" in. I installed ceiling fan boxes, drilled 1/2" pipe flanges to match their mounting hardware, put a 1/2" hole in the side of the pipe so the speaker wire could exit, and screwed Omni-mount pipe-adapter models on the ends. Those screw into T-nuts on plywood cut to match the speaker dimensions. Theplywood mounts via the terminal mounting cup screw holes, and the side surrounds are "upside down." Conduit runs between the fan boxes and equipment closet so I can upgrade to active speakers of some form.

17. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Drew hit the nail on the head of what I had in mind, good one Drew. And with that you could paint it to make it more aesthetic.

Cary_H, your the man, your my role model.[​IMG]