What's new

Speaker placement plan - feedback please! (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
I'm not sure what is what in your diagram. Any chance you could label things? Also, what are the dimensions of the room?

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
dimensions: 25x14

view from the top. the large object in the lower part is the sofa. Behind are two rear centers. Surrounds on the side and so forth. Speakers are Paradigm Monitor

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Max,

Is this layout steadfast?

The reason I ask is have you considered flipping the layout 180 degrees? Putting the couch near the fireplace and TV along the "bottom" wall?

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
I agree with Darren if this is possible .

Unless I am reading your picture wrong...
I would put a partition behind the tv. I have never seen anyone put a tv in the middle of a room.

Just my 2 cents
Ed

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
The original layout actually was reversed so that the proj screen was on the other side of the room. However, i superimposed a THX diagram onto it, and it seems that the fireplace would get in the way of the waves from the surrounds. Here, have a look. The arrows are from the THX diagram. Their edges need to be extended to actually hit the front/rear walls, but you get the idea. It looks like the fireplace would get in the way, right?

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
I still think you need to build a partition especially for your 7.1 set up. I think you have too much room behind your seating.

Signed
Ed

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any particular reason why i need a partition? A projector screen can hang in the middle of the room just fine.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Max,
Is there any particular reason why i need a partition? A projector screen can hang in the middle of the room just fine.
In the first diagram you had too much space behind your sofa/seating and in the second you had too much behind your tv/screen, besides in either setup how were you going to hide your wires?

I actually just noticed your wall sizes on the second sketch maybe you should put the screen like the first diagram and move the seating further back to be in front of the fire place.as well as the speakers. I assume the fireplace was already there before you decided to make a home theater.

Signed
Ed

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
I think i'll go with the partition, as seen on the latest diagram. Unless someone can tell me why i shouldn't do that. I can do everything myself since i'm a contractor, and end up with 2 good rooms instead of 1 overly large one.

P.S. The wires go underneath drywall, with Leviton QuickPort binding post wallplates.

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Max,

With the new diagram, how will you enter the new fireplace sitting room? Will there be another entrance into that area... or will you have to enter through the two partial walls?

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like i'm gonna have to walk around that center speaker. I'll put in a door frame (without a door) and make it look right of course. Then maybe a loveseat in front of the fireplace and a bar across the room from the entrance.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Max are you trying to have two seprate areas in this room?

The reason I ask is if you go with the second sketch the room will only be approximately 13.3 L x 13.6 W . That is kinda small.

My room is only 13 L x 12.6 W and I have a 65" rptv . I am actually on the borderline of distance from the screen.I can say for sure you will be happier with more distance between the screen to seating.

Also does that fireplace really stick out that far?

Signed
Ed

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
You're right. Back to the drawing board. How far does the seating have to be from the rear centers?

Here, check this out. Max distance between eyes and screen - 11'. Max distance between projector and screen - 16'. I don't know which projector i'm getting yet, but according to ProjectorCentral, a NEC LT150 can draw about 140" diagonal with that distance. Is that too large for viewing from 11' away though? What do you think is realistic?

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Max,
Here, check this out. Max distance between eyes and screen - 11'. Max distance between projector and screen - 16'. I don't know which projector i'm getting yet, but according to ProjectorCentral, a NEC LT150 can draw about 140" diagonal with that distance. Is that too large for viewing from 11' away though? What do you think is realistic?
There are varied opinions about how far you should sit from the screen. This is what I was told.... to figure out distance multiply screen size(diagonal)and multiply by 1.5

Here is an example mysetup:
65"rptv x 1.5 = 97.5" or 8'3". My couch is 8 feet from the screen and my actual view from my eyes is somewhere ..around 9'6" . However some people say this is
too close. So for 140" + 17.5' away

I would go back to the first sketch and put the seating in front of the fireplace. I do not know much about projectors but can you adjust them to what ever size you want upto 140"

Signed
Ed

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
Well i can place it closer or further from the screen, which would adjust the size like that, yeah.

Max Malloy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link, i'll take a look at it when i sober up ;) As for the large square, its the um.. its kind of a 6" high brick footing. I guess its there to prevent ash from falling on the floor? It doesn't interfere with the sound waves, but prevents the couch from being placed there.

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit
Ok,

Six inch high brick hearth and its wide also.
most newer home around here use ceramic tile.

In your diagram it looks like it goes really far into the room..maybay you can cut it back.

Signed
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks