What's new

Speaker placement...need the pro's (1 Viewer)

jason123

Agent
I am wiring my home theater with 7.1. The front, center, sub and rear are no problem...it's the sides. I know you are supposed to wire these at a standing ear level which is not an issue...but the way my basement is laid out I have to put my sides at one of these options.

#1 - Put the sides 3 feet behind the sitting area at the optimal height and rear at 10 feet

#2 - Put one of the sides directly to the right side of the seating and the left 2 feet back (window in the way).

#3 - put the sides at the left and right of the seating area but at a height of 82" from the floor.

I plan to use Bipole speakers for the sides if that helps.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE HELP

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would go with option 3. Having the side speakers higher is preferable to having them further back. It's not really that high either.

Also, most people prefer dipoles on the sides and bipoles at the rear. Switchable models are handy for this. All the more important to have the sides directly to the side so the listener is in the null.

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright

I agree about option 3, but I gave up on the dipole option for surrounds about a year ago while using switchable bi/dipole speakers. The bipole option just sounded fuller, and localization was a non-issue. Bipole also sounds better with 5.1 discrete music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lockheede
Recent bookmarks