Speaker Placement & Mounting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tabor, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of mounting my surrounds up where the wall meets the ceiling and having them angled down towards the listening area. It always seems that theater sound is above you and pointing down. Does anyone have any advice on this? And, does anyone know of anywhere to buy the equipment for this type of mounting? I'm talkin even the center, left/right surround, and rear surrounds. All angled down towards the listening area.

2. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

hmm.. isn't it that your center should be immediately above or below your tv? while the fronts should be in line with your listening level..
    as for the rears, i'm not sure but your idea is one possible way to position it..

Cire

3. JimmyAGR

JimmyAGR Auditioning

I have all my speakers JBL s-38's except the center mounted at ceiling level. I used the B-tech b77 mounts. Works really well. Sounds great to me and the wife is happy there aren't speakers all over the floor, except of course the sub.

Jimmy

4. Mitch E S

Mitch E S Stunt Coordinator

Home Depot has very nice/inexpensive speaker mounts that can angle down and swivel side to side. Very sturdy too. My Klipsch RS3s are mounted flush to the wall (they come with their own brackets attached) but I'm using the Home Depot speaker brackets with my Dynaudios. I don't think it matters that much with surrounds if they are angled down or not. With these brackets you can adjust them up or down so you can do it any way you'd like.

Good Luck. Mitch

5. Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt Stunt Coordinator

My surrounds are mounted near the ceiling and slightly behind the ideal listening position due to SAF. I've got them pointed slightly forward and down towards the listening area it works very well!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jeff Hunt
    http://www.jeffhunt.org
    I need a JOB!!

6. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    The surrounds are governed by the same basic placement laws as your mains. Tilting down from above works great, I've done it with sucess a couple of times. Be mindful of these issues when you chose the location.
    Putting them against the ceiling and wall intersection is like placing a floor speaker in the corner. Bass will increase but become boomy, high end will suffer least, but may turn shrill and smeared, and the midrange will go right down the dumper. Bring them down a foot (more if you can) from the ceiling. Avoid the side walls by as much as practical. Any doubts during installation, experiment before grabbing your screw gun. 10 mins. of playing with placement and you'll home in on the right spot easily.