Speaker Placement Model, Which One?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brae, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Ok, this should be a fairly easy question as I am not asking why you follow, or not, the THX, DD, or DTS models for speaker place, but just which one.

My application is 80/20 movie/music using a 7.1 setup with a Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX receiver and its MCACC feature, and the Paradigm Studio Reference 100's, CC, and ADP's.

Now, I know that not all speakers and receivers and rooms and applications are created equally (and thankfully so), but for 5.1 to 7.1 setups, which model do you follow.

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have my speakers set up using the DvD audio model (even though I don't have DvD audio) with all speakers equadistant from the sweet spot all speakers being 11' from my ears with the center slightly farther back as my TV stand is recessed behind my Fronts.
    I am using an all PSB setup with Stratus Silvers for front L&R
    Stratus C-6 as center Stratus Mini's for the surrounds and a Susonic 7. The Mini's replaced a pair of Alpha's in the rear which I am going to put back into the system between the Mini's (when I get more amps) to complete the 7.1 setup. [​IMG]

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Brent, there is something missing in your setup. I do understand that all of the speakers are 11 feey from your ears, and that the center is a little further back for the reason mentioned.

If you are seated in the sweet-spot looking at your center channel, what angle are the left and right channels to the center channel?

What has been interesting is that on model (and I easily get them all confused) states if a center channel is used then one should use the wider of the 45-60 degree angle of separation between the L & R channels. But then another model states that if the application is more movies than music to use the more narrow angle (45 degrees).

This gets even more out of whack when speaking of the surrounds, where one model suggests using direct-firing surrouns pointed directly at your ears (which also dictates elevation), but another suggests slightly behind the ears and another dipoles.

4. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I believe the reason they suggest a more narrow angle for movies is that you can reduce the toe in thereby increasing the prime listening area for multiple viewers. My L&R front speakers are 9' feet apart and toed in about 35 to 40 degrees(Not absolutely certain as I just eyed them up). I basically set mine up for music and I feel it is for my setup the best way to go as I can adjust center delay or volume to compesate for movies. [​IMG]