Speaker placement mains in front of center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matthew McGuire, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Matthew McGuire

Matthew McGuire Auditioning

Do to room limitations I am thinking of wall mounting my bookshelf mains. The only place I can mount them will be about 4' in front of the center channel. Can I adjust the timing of the center channel to compensate for the difference? I will buying the Pioneer VSX-49TX.

2. Matthew McGuire

Matthew McGuire Auditioning

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Most receivers, especially top of the line ones allow you to set the distance from the listening position to each speaker. I'm sure VSX-49TX allows that, too. I believe that's the way modern receivers handle the timing and don't provide the actual time delay control. One way or the other, it should provide some way to adjust the delays for individual speakers.

4. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

From a soundstage perspective, it would be preferable that the mains and centre be ligned up as much as possible. Your mains may be too present in your soundstage in relation to your centre.

Is there any way for you to set it up "temporarily" in the configuration that you are proposing just to test it out. That would most definitely be the easiest way to find out if what you are suggesting will work.

This is not ideal, but you could always have 2 friends hold the speakers where you want to mount them. Sit in your listening position. Have them slide the speakers back slowly and coordinated, keeping them at the same height until they are lined up with the centre while you are listening and evaluating. This would allow you to listen to the changing dynamics and evalute for yourself if your proposed set up would work for you or not.

Good luck,

Bob