What's new

Speaker Placement (long) (1 Viewer)

Scott>G

Agent
I am new to HT and new to this board so please be gentle :)

I am going to be purchasing the ELT system shortly and need some advice on placement of the speakers. Ok maybe not advice but someone to tell me that it will all be ok the way I have to set up my Speakers :0)

I recently purchased the HK 325. I am currently using it with only 2 Mission 760i bookshelf speakers.

The room they are going in is shaped oddly. It is our family room, roughly 17' by 12'rectangle. The room is set up so that we use it the long way. One side of the room is open to the dining room (when sitting on the couch to your right is open to the dining area). The ceiling is 10'6" on the closed side and 20'ish on the side open to the dining room. A sloped cathedral ceiling is a good way to describe it. The wall to the dining room is not all 20' open to the dining room, only 8' is open to dining room and the rest is wall all the way up to 20'.

Anyway here is my concerns, my wife doesn't want speaker stands. So they are out.

1. Will it sound ok in this room with all 5 speakers being wall mounted above our ears 6-8 feet?

2. The couch is against the back wall. If I were to use the Missions (don't know if the sound enough alike to use together, any advice here would help to) to take advantage of the 7.1 ability of the HK, is that pushing everything too close together? The rears will be almost directly above our heads sitting on the couch with the surrounds not to far away to the left and Right.

Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I'd be hesitant to have my mains 6-8 feet up above your ears...from a technical standpoint, the tweeters should be at ear level when seated....surrounds you may get away with...there is always a way to do it...set it up at ear level for the mains, and have your wife listen...move them WAY up as she wants, and she'll see there will be some difference...You will have some use of L7 from the HK...it sounds great..make use of it. tom

TommyL

Supporting Actor
As far as the speakers all being conjested...can't tell because I haven't seen the room, but you should have some separation between them to give the film a chance to keep you into it...its nice to hear something coming from the left and KNOW it is....better "your there" feeling with some air inbetween..test it out...if YOU like it, then its good enough...that's the main goal. tom As far as speakers being too close to you yourself, that's pretty easy to fix with avia..calibrate it, and wala..distance isn't too big a problem...separation is your only hump.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks