Speaker placement issues w/ separate 5.1 and stereo systems

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duane H, Oct 5, 2001.

1. Duane H

Duane H Agent

I am considering segregated 5.1 and stereo systems in the same room. The smaller, stand-mounted 5.1 front main speakers and the larger (but still on a stand or pedestal) stereo speakers will be flanking an RPTV. A subwoofer will be used only with the 5.1 HT system.
    Are there any specific recommendations, caveats, precautions, or no-nos regarding this setup and placement of these different speakers? Should the stereo pair lie outside the HT pair, or vice-versa? Should one pair be closer to the listening position than the other? Any concerns with diffraction or other sound alteration, etc.?
    Thanks for your help.

2. Duane H

Duane H Agent

Anyone?

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Hi Duane,

Quote:

Should the stereo pair lie outside the HT pair, or vice-versa?

You would be best served to put the stereo pair outside the the theater pair. Just my opinion though. [​IMG]

------------------
    Luke

4. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Hey Duane
    Me, I have both my audio and video systems intertwined within my home theater. I have a separeate unit for video and movies, the other one plays home to my theater radio and my audio/music playback exclusively.
    Me, I have a pair of tall, slender floorstanding towers on the outsides with my shorter, wider floorstanding stereo speakers from within.
    I tried it Luke's way initially, only to find out that the front-ends of my theater were systematically canceled out from being inside of where I have my surround speakers perched. So, I moved them both to the outside--the towers, with the stereos on the inside.
    It works well for both my video and audio plays, respectively.
    However, that does not mean Luke's way is invalid.
    But, then again, this is in my HT. Others, pending space and equipment availabiity, may vary. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D