Speaker placement in tough room!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DavidCooper, May 24, 2005.

1. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I are looking to buy a new house. The house we are really leaning towards has everything we want. It's a great house. There is only one drawback..........the living room doesn't quite cut it for my HT.

The only wall that you could put the big sceen (50") and the equipment rack, plus the main speakers is on the long wall of aprox. 24' x 16' rectangular room. Doing that will put everything on the long axis of the wall. This would also make side mounted surrounds impossible.

The only place you can put your surrounds would be on stands about 4' away from the main seating area, and more behind the listeners rather than directly to the sides, or slightly behind. They would also be point towards the seating area rather than toward each other.

My question is.............does anyone have a set-up like this? And does it or in my case would it sound terrible????

Help!

2. Sean Buehrle

Sean Buehrle Auditioning

i had the same problem as you did, my answer to the problem was to buld an equipment rack on the short wall that allows more room on the sides for my speakers.

ill post a pic by this weekend to show you what i did.

3. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

David,

It's not really that much of a problem. I suggest stand-mounted dipoles with the nulls pointed at the listening area. This will help reduce the localization of nearfield surrounds. A friend of mine has a very similar setup.