1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Placement in my Living Room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walter_C, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Walter_C

Walter_C Extra

I'd like to ask opinions on speaker placement in my living room. I have a 52" rear projection tv in the corner of my living room. Due to the logistics of my living room (fireplace, etc) and where the sofa/love seat are situated I am having problems in deciding exactly where to place new speakers I intend to purchase. My living room dimensions are 14' wide and 22' long. It is not a completely closed/walled room. There is a 7.5' opening to the back/right which leads into the dining room. There is a 3' open doorway (no door) at one end.
    Where can I place *any* speakers? On any walls, from the ceilings, floor-mounted units?? I'd prefer floor standing speakers because of how difficult it would be to mount/wire wall speakers. I will be using the system (DVD) mostly for music CDs.
    Suggestions welcome on any number of speakers (2-6).
    === see link below for "crude" jpg image ===
    http://www.designprism.com/room.jpg
    'A' is a wood cabinet running 3/4 length of back wall - this is a combo liquor/old stereo unit cabinet. It also has my audio receiver on the right end (recv).
    'TVvcrdvdTV' is a 52" rear projection tv and on the top I've placed my vcr and dvd player.
    'B' is a 5' love seat facing into the room.
    'CC' is a 7' sofa facing into the room (behind the sofa is a large bay/picture window.
    'X' is an apolstered chair facing into the room (2 of 'em).
    'T' is a round table with lamp - between both chairs.
    Thanks for your help!
    Walter

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Why is the TV in that corner of the room? It doesn't even look like you can see it from B. I would move the TV down to the other corner of the room. Then place the front speaker to each side of it. One being right befoer the fire place and the other before the doorway. For the rears, one could be placed in the bookcase, and the other next to couch C. For 6.1, place another on the bookcase in the corner of the room.

3. Walter_C

Walter_C Extra

I see what you are saying with the TV but unfortunately it cannot be moved there as it completely screws up the room look and feel.
    The love seat (B) was always facing away from the TV. The TV could only really ever be adequately seen from the sofa (CC) and the chairs (X).

Anyway, seeing the TV is secondary to me. Audio (music) is what I really want with the current room setup.

Since the sofa and love seat are at right angles to one another speaker placement becomes near impossible, I think.

Thanks,
    Bruce

4. BrianWoerndle

It is not impossible, just not ideal. But whose room is ideal? Try this:

Place the left front on the bookcase near the receiver. Place the right front to the right of the opening near the chair and table. The left rear should be about the center of couch C. The right rear needs to be to the right of the fireplace (left if you are looking at the drawing, right if you are in the room). Dipoles would actually work great in these locations, but you probably don't want to buy all new speakers. So, you will have to be more creative. Now since you are sitting on couch C, you are much closer to the left rear. Overcome this in two ways. First, try facing the rears at the ceiling. This will give you a more difuse effect. (Dolby reccommends this on their website, and I think it will work good in your application.) Then, make sure you calibrate with a SPL meter and a test disc (Avia or Video Essentials). Calibrate from your listening point so the left rear isn't too loud.

Try diffent places and different directions, just make sure you recalibrate when you make a change before you do any critical listening.

5. Walter_C

Walter_C Extra

Brian - thanks for those ideas.

Actually I am buying all new speakers anyway - I have to as my two old AR speakers (located on the wall behind the book case and TV/DVD) are too old and need to be reconditioned and have their potentiometers replaced which I believe is just not worth the expense.

Anyway, I originally wanted to purchase floor standing speakers but I'll need to be very creative I believe in any setup using the book case. Ideally the speakers (fronts) should be at the same height right? Would I need to use a mix of floor standing and/or shelf mounted speakers (or at least the same front speaker with a speaker stand to bring it to the same height).

Again, thanks for your help.

6. BrianWoerndle

The decision between floorstanding and bookshelf is up to you. You might be able to stand a speaker in front of the bookcase. And yes, idealy the front 3 speakers should have the tweeters at the same height. A stand should work if you decide on bookshelfs. It is usually hard to get the center at the same height, but they should all be close.
    Personally, I like bookshelfs with a sub better. But being you want these for music, I understand your desire for floorstanders. That will have to be your decesion. It is hard for me to reccommend which might work better without seeing the room. (But your drawing definatly helped. It may be crude, but it gives me a good idea on where things are)
    Since you are buying new speakers, I would definatly consider dipole surrounds. They will give you a much more difuse effect which will make the rear speakers harder to localize. Which is good in your case since they will not be in ideal locations. One other thing to watch for when you buy new speakers, if you plan on using them in the bookcase, don't get a speaker with rear ports. I rear port in a bookcase will make it sound muddy and echo-y (Is that even a word?)
    Good luck. You have some hard decisions to make. Hopefully I have given you some ideas to think about.