What's new

speaker placement in my HT room (1 Viewer)

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

I'm fairly new to HT. I am getting some ideas to set up my rear speakers. My room is approx 28' long x 15' wide. I have the couch located right in the middle of the room (facing one of the small walls). I have a the TV up against the wall with the center speaker directly on top of it. The front left & right speakers are near the corners of the room. At the moment I have two surround speakers setting on end tables next to the couch. This set up of the surrounds seems to make it difficult to hear both surrounds if you are on the far side of the couch. I am going to get new surrounds and a rear center speaker soon. I am considering mounting them farther back in the room. The entrance to the room is in the very back so I can't mount them on the rear wall. I am thinking of mounting the rear center on the ceiling and aiming slightly down toward the listening area. The rear left and right would be mounted on the side walls up toward the ceiling and also aimed down toward the listener. All speakers will be approx the same distance (13ft) from the listening area. I think that will provide a better surround experience for everyone in the room...am I right on this one? Any suggestions are welcome!!!

Thanks

Frank

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the surrounds are suposed to be dipole, the locations can vary some but should be on the side of the listener and approimately 3 feet above the listening position,and not aimed directly at the listener. you might try a home theater setup dvd or refer to thx.com for additional info....good luck

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
When setting up your speakers, try to have things symmetrical if you can. Are you able to mount both speakers off the ceiling and have a wall in close proximity to both of the surround speakers? When you get everything done, you may consider investing in a sound level meter and AVIA or Video Essentials so that you can properly calibrate the levels of all of the speakers.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Hi

The rear L&R speakers would be a few feet from the rear wall and the rear center would be right up against it (above the entry to the room)

Are the rear speakers actually supposed to be mounted at the sides of the listening area? I thought they were supposed to go behind?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks