1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Placement.... High or low?? help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

As I wait for my speakers to arrive, I'm wondering if the speakers should be placed at somewhat ear level, or if they should be placed at about 7' up since it'll be easier to mount them there. Since my room is about 11' x 15' I'm not sure where the "best" placement will be.
    Oh yeah, does it matter the the front speakers are in the corners, or should they be more toward the center?
    Thanks!!!
    Chris

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

For your front mains, the general opinion is that the best height for the speakers is to have the tweeters at ear level when in the normal listening position (i.e., sitting).
    For your front mains, unless you have very small cube speakers (Bose or similar), you will probably get much better sound if the speakers are pulled into the room, so that there is some distance (1-3 feet) from the wall behind the speakers, as well as from the side walls.
    For the surrounds, wait till someone else with more knowledge than me responds. [​IMG]

3. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Yes Sean,
    ANY info helps a newbie like me out tremendouly!!! I'm going to take all the info into consideration and try out every possibility.
    Thanks!!
    Chris
    P.S. I'm still open to suggestions

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If I might offer a counter-opinion:
    Make the rears the same height as the fronts, ideally the tweeters all matching your ear height.
    More and more movies are sending sounds to the rears that just dont sound good if you mount the speakers up high.
    But there are some older movies that still follow the Dolby guidelines (diffuse, indirect sounds) that will sound better with the higher mounting rather than ear-level.
    So you just have to break out your favorites and try both placements and decide what sounds better in your room.
    Note: a inexpensive laser-pointer is a nice tool to use when changing the angle of your speakers. Make sure it has a straight beam by rolling it across a table and noting that the dot moves in a line rather than making circles. (See Saurav, I do listen. [​IMG] )
    Another suggestion: Mounting the rear speakers one way or another is not a dramatic change. With new speakers on the way, you are going to have lots of things to adjust and get used to in the first month or so. Mount the rears so it is easy and just get used to the system. Then after several weeks, play with the high vs ear-level placement and then decide on a perminent mounting.
    Congrats on the new speakers by the way.

5. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer