Speaker Placement Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Seliger, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Dan Seliger

Dan Seliger Stunt Coordinator

I need help with speaker placement for the surrounds...
    There is a door to the left back of my sitting area (see picture link below) which makes it hard for placement of the left surround, the link below is a picture of the room with measurements.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Also, the back surrounds for 7.1, any ideas where i should put those in the walls? Will the inwalls be sufficient for this?
    Any other ideas/help is welcome, this is my first HT so I'll take all the help i can get!!
    Speakers:
    Front L&R - Klipsch RP-5's (w/integrated subs 400watt 12")
    Surrounds - Klipsch RS-3's (dipoles)
    Backs - Klipsch In-Walls RCW-3's
    Center - Klipsch Center KLF-C7
    Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-37TX
    DVD: Pioneer Elite DV-38A
    TV: RP Toshiba 56H80 (widescreen)
    Link to picture of room:http://members.aol.com/dseliger527/myhomepage/ht.jpg

2. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

maybe you could put your TV where the love seat is. then youll have a wall on both sides

3. Dan Seliger

Dan Seliger Stunt Coordinator

And put the loveseat where? I had thought about something like that but all my wiring i already pulled in the wall to where the tv is...
    If i put the loveseat, etc on the left wall then the door would be in the way of the right speaker then.

4. Dax Scott

Dax Scott Stunt Coordinator

I'm not familiar with the speakers you're using for the surrounds, but could you mount them from the ceiling roughly the same distance apart from your seating area? You can get clamp-type mounts that will allow you to hang speakers from the ceiling without needing to drill holes in your speakers. I guess there may be an issue with the left surround hanging in the path of a swinging door - depending on which direction the doors open.
    Another option would be to put the surrounds on stands on either side of your sofa. That way you could move the left surround out of the way when it's not in use, and put it in position for movie watching. Again, depending on which direction the doors swing, you may be able to leave the speaker in place all the time.
    Otherwise, it looks like you're stuck with hanging the left surround on the left wall and using the level & delay settings on your receiver to compensate for the additional distance from your seating position. Your surround imaging would be less than ideal, but it beats going surroundless.
    To answer your other question, in-walls should be fine for your center surrounds. I'm not sure how far apart the centers should be, so I'll leave that for someone with more EX/ES experience.
    Good luck!
    ------------------
    Dax R. Scott - DVD Addict
    Ask yourself... what would Ditka do?

5. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

I suggest you move the couch and the loveseat up off that backwall atleast 4feet. Sit futhur away from walls and closer to speakers for better sound. Also by doing this you can mount your surrounds far enough into the room where the door will open without the speaker in the way. Place your front speakers atleast 3ft from the backwall as well.
    gotowww.audioperfectionist.com and read article 2 for great speaker placement ideas.
    ------------------
    View Live streaming video of my theater room 24X7 HTTP://WWW.DAVIDSTHEATER.COM