What's new

Speaker placement help needed, as well as speaker stands. (1 Viewer)

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
I am setting up a home theater. My couch is right up against a wall with the TV 8' from the viewing position. I am trying to set up the speakers as shown in example A here.
HomeTheaterGuide_0110_fig12.jpg

I was going to order the gemini speaker stands as shown at the top of this link.
http://www.etronics.com/search1.ASP?...speaker+stands
They extend to 6'2" tall. Dolby recommends that the rear speakers be 3' above the listeners ear.
My question is, will the speakers sound be distorted by sound bouncing off the back wall? In example A, the couch is pulled out from the wall a bit, but mine is directly up against the wall. Also, if anyone has any recommendations on speaker stands and where to buy them it would be appreciated.

Michael Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Eddie, It might help to pull the couch a little off the wall. One thing I noticed about those speaker stands is the legs. I would think with those stands, the speakers will be to far forward. That would be because of the tripod legs. You probably won't be able to get the stands close to the wall and the speakers will sit a little farther forward.

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I need some speakerstands ~ 6' tall so that the speakers will be 3' above the listeners ears. If the tripod is too big on the stand I was looking at, what should I buy?

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Am I the only one who wants speaker stands this high? I can't find any web sites or stores that sell speaker stands that are ~ 6'. Does anyone here have stands that high?

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I'm considering celeing mounts. But where can i get them?

No one seems to sell any good speaker stands/mounts. Where can I get this stuff?

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Eddie, perform a search for "speaker mounts(stands)"
I can tell of one site you can check out, however these require drilling into the back of your speakers. They work very well, I use them. My B&W 602S2 surrounds are mounted using them. www.omnimount.com

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Frank, I'm actually looking at some Omnimount speaker mounts I saw on etronics.
Link Removed
OMNIMOUNT 75WB-IFK BLACK Black Wall to Speaker Bottom Mounting Kit
I can't tell by the picture if these would be able to make the speakers face each other with the wall 90 degrees to the speaker front. In other words, I want to mount these on the wall above my head that backs up to my couch. Would I be able to turn these on that wall to make them face each other?

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone please tell me if the omnimount speaker brackets I posted above will allow 2 speakers on a back wall to face each other, perpendicular to the wall? Hasn't anyone done this before? Am I the only person on the HT forum that is mounting speakers on a back wall but wants to point them at one another?

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
Welp, I'm going to run to sound advice and buy the Omnimount 25RWX speaker mounts I guess. This is by far the most disappointing post I've put on this forum.

Eddie, I know what you're going through.

My system

43" Sony RPTV

Outlaw 1050

Sony DVD

Custom satin finish 316 stainless rack / 5 shelves

JBL S38 fronts

JBL S center

JBL S26 Rear

RS Rear Center

JBL PB12

During test periods in my 13 x 18 room I built 4 stands out of wood and 2" black ABS pipe. 24" Fronts and 60" rears. I tried all the recommended positions to determine what I preferred. I emphasize that these are my opinions, based on my own likes and dislikes. It's my room, they're my toys.

I would also go with wall mounts for final installation. One of my rears tumbled like a tree. Splat went my psb alpha.

The set up I preferred was when the three front speakers were very close to the same horizontal plane. I found it disturbing having the center 20" above the left and right speakers. Also the L and R needed to be in front of the TV. Imaging improved dramatically. Rear L and R pointing down, slightly behind the listening position. The rear center points straight ahead (Rs Pro lx with 360 deg tweeter). Frankly I could live without the rear center, there's only so much sound you can produce in a 1500 cu/ft room.

Final set up (I'll try and get pictures)

Front center on the TV / use 2 x 1" diameter and 1 x 2" blue tack balls (the tacky blue stuff you find at office supply stores). Use the larger ball for the rear support to angle the speaker down at the listening position. Position with the front of the speaker slightly ahead of the TV.

Front L and R suspended by the rear, almost level with the center (Could not quite get there because of a window frame). Speaker fronts are 12" in front of the TV. Custom made mounting system consists of metal brackets mounted to the wall, extending 22" into the room. The vertical adjustment is fixed during installation, horizontal is adjustable at will. I find this very handy as a little toe in is nice for stereo listening. As you might imagine the sight of "floating speakers" is quite different, but I like it.

The rears are also mounted on custom brackets, high on the rear wall, angled slightly behind the listeners.

The sound is simply spectacular. Could it be better? Of course it could. Could it be better for the 1400 USD spent on the Outlaw / JBL + careful installation combo. Not a chance. I've been to most of the high end stores in the Montreal area. I've walked out of demo rooms smiling, having just listened to a 4 or 5 grand system that did absolutely zero for me. Now that's pleasure!!!!

Sorry if this was long winded. One of those deals where a few pictures worth a thousand words. Don't know if the look is for everybody but as I said, it's my room.

Alfred, my custom welder friend, who thinks I'm mental, deserves the credit for turning my observations into usable hardware. Hopefully I'll find a way to post some photos of our final experiment.

Hope this helps.

Rick Favreau

Sorry Eddie, I misread your original post. Thought you were looking for advice on complete set up, not only rears. For pivoting rear brackets to face each other when on the rear wall they must extend into the room at least 1/2 of the width of the speaker, since the speaker must turn at least 90 deg. I suggest you install the brackets on the side walls if possible.

Rick Favreau

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have side walls on my right side, which is why I have to mount them behind me.
I just got back from Sound Advice (complete jerkoffs work there btw, don't ever shop there). I purchased the Omnimount 25RWX speaker mounts as seen here.
rwx-sidewall-bottom.gif

RWX
From side wall to bottom
This shows that the speakers can be mounted this way. The mounts also have a 1/4" screw on the bottom of them that attaches to an optional mount plate. I believe this screw will go directly into the bottom of the JBL speakers because I have read they have a hole in tohe bottom of them to hook up the stand. The only thing is, I don't know what size the hole is on the bottom of the speakers.
Does anyone know what the hole size is on the bottom of the JBL N24 speakers? I'd be able to look myself, but I haven't recieved them in the mail yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks