1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Placement/Frequency Response

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EricSm, Jun 11, 2003.

1. EricSm

EricSm Stunt Coordinator

My current set up exists in a 12 x 10 room, with the television on the longer wall. Owing to a door that opens into the room, I have my surround speakers directly to the sides of the couch, but they are mounted about 7 feet high(in other words: in the small place between door and ceiling). Now, they strike me as quite high. There's about a foot of space between the speaker itself and the back wall. So picture me on a couch, with the speakers directly to the sides, up about 7 feet(to the bottom of the speaker). The speakers are dipole/bipole switchable(Polk FXI30s). My brother was over last night and he made the suggestion that I could mount them on the back wall, positioning them so that they frame the couch, and then put them about 2 feet above your head and switch them to bipole. In this case, they would be a lot closer to me, but not touching the ceiling. I must preface my question by stating that he and I agree it sounds pretty dang good where they are. They sort of sonically disappear into the room and it's great. Our concern lies in loss of detail and clarity owing to the considerable off axis positioning from the tweeter. What I was wondering is if anyone has been in a similiar situation and what you found to be best. The best thing to do would to be to "try" it out, but as that would necessitate drilling more holes in the wall I'd like to solicit some opinions first. Do you think it would create a better soundstage if I were to move the speakers to the back wall, lower their height, and switch to a bipole design? My couch is flush with the wall, so that is my primary concern. I'd be so close to the speakers. But, if this would be an improvement I'm all for doing it.

Also, the other question I wanted to ask is if anyone knows where I can download the test tone sweep that consists of 29 mp3 files, about 12 seconds in length each? I downloaded it once off a link on here, but my attempts to search for it turned up futile.

As always, I appreciate any and all help!

Thanks.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can download the NCH Test Tone Generator here. But it produces WAVE files, not MP3's.

My advice on the speakers: if it sounds good dont mess with it unless you can put things back.