Speaker Placement - Down?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Joshua_Skains, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Joshua_Skains

Joshua_Skains Auditioning

I live in a house that used to be a barn. The living room has bare beams running across. Due to the shape of the room, the sofa is in the middle of the longer length of the living room. The beams run from the wall that the TV is on across the sofa to the other side.

One idea was to place the three rears on the bottom of three of the beams right behind the sofa pointed straight down (A beam runs right down the center of the TV. I thought the center could be pointed down on that beam). Another alternative, since the beams are bare, is to put them inside the beams aimed at each other, but of course one is where do I put that center speaker, and two, there will be more beams between the outer speakers if I put them on the beam sides.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    JMS

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    How high are the ceilings? Can you run more beams of your own, or some 2x4's for more placement options?

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can get away with speakers pointing straight down for the rears, but not for the fronts.

Ideally, all 3 front speakers should have their tweeters at the height of the screen. This way the action and sounds appear on the same level.

Most of the time, rear sounds try to stay ... less specific. This is why you can get away with dipoles or rear speakers pointing straight down/up/indirect.

But you dont have anything but the floor to bounce sounds off of.

Can you mount brackets to angle the rear speakers to point at the couch? That would be better than straight down.