Speaker Placement Dilemma

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Neil McCaulley, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Neil McCaulley

Neil McCaulley Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

I was reading through the User Manual (Yes, I am one of the sick ones that must read ALL of my User Manuals) for my Hitachi 46F500 Rear Projection HDTV. I noticed that within the section describing speaker placement for an external home theater sound system, the speakers should be evenly distributed within 3 to 4 feet from the sides of the TV screen. The strange thing is that the suggested speaker placement for my home theater (Onkyo) suggests that the speakers be placed right next to the sides of the TV, about an inch or two away.

Can someone give me the definitive answer as to where my speakers need to be placed to get the best movie theater sound possible when watching a DVD?

Thanks!

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I would say it depends on your room. Try moving the speakers around and see where you like them best, I don't think it is a cut and dry thing that they have to go within a certain distance of the TV.

3. John S

John S Producer

Speaker placement, becomes more room driven. Some experiementation would be in order. Rarely would right next to your display on the sides be best. But, regaurdless of sound, that is the only place mine could go, so that is where they are. Performance is still truly awesome. No matter where you put them, play with the tow in/out a little as well. As a slight turn here and there can work wonders as well.

4. Neil McCaulley

It is a very odd set-up I have with regards to placement. Again, like most men out there who have the wife that does not quite understand or appreciate our passion for home theater, I have had to make adjustments to make her happy, and me not completely annoyed. I have my front left channel about 2 feet from the screen sitting on the corner of my receiver (don't yell at me, the vents still get air in them and if you saw the position of my TV you would understand why it is there) and my right channel sits atop our fireplace mantle about 3 feet away from the screen. She took the right channel and placed it ON THE FLOOR right next to the TV in order to make room for our annual Christmas decoration crap! Of course I threw a fit and put it right back where it goes. Well, she said that she looked at the diagram of speaker placement in one of the User Manuals and stated that she did nothing wrong. (Well, besides touching my equipment in the first place she did nothing wrong.) That's what made this situation so confusing is because I was getting conflicting information from both manuals.

I am itching for our next home (which was supposed to be our CURRENT home…) that has the perfect, rectangular basement that I can turn into the perfect theater. Until then, it is compromise, compromise, compromise.

5. John S

John S Producer

In short.. You can't argue with women. So she is correct, everytime. [​IMG]

6. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"I am itching for our next home (which was supposed to be our CURRENT home…) that has the perfect, rectangular basement that I can turn into the perfect theater. Until then, it is compromise, compromise, compromise"

I hope it is the "perfect rectangular basement" with nice room treatments, or else it's going to be the perfect rectangular basement with room cancellation modes galore.

7. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"In short.. You can't argue with women. So she is correct, everytime"

How silly.

Of course you can argue.

You just can't win [​IMG]

8. Neil McCaulley

Hey Elinor,

"I hope it is the "perfect rectangular basement" with nice room treatments, or else it's going to be the perfect rectangular basement with room cancellation modes galore."

What do you mean by room treatments and why would there be cancellation modes?

9. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Hmmm, well, I'm not an audio engineer, nor do I play one on tv, but a perfect rectangular room is going to reflect sound waves in such a manner that certain frequencies are almost certain to be cancelled out (i.e. become inaudible).

I think there is a formula somewhere that takes room dimensions and shows which frequencies are going to be at risk.

Room treatments are stuff you do to the room (hang on walls, ceilings, etc.) that attempt to break the wave patterns that cancel each other out.

That's a crude but I believe essentially accurate description for ya.