What's new

speaker placement dilema (1 Viewer)

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
As you will be able to see in my layout of my room. The brown area is where my tv is. You can see that my room is not a perfect shape. I am having delma on where to mount the rears in a 5.1 setup while keeping in mind an upgrade to the 7.1 in the next six months. First of all I cant decide on where to put the speakers and then which kind to buy. I kinda thought to mount from the ceiling in line with the front left and right. However that will take a pretty big angle to point them towards the seating area. Or thought about mounting bi or di speakers to the wall but since I have a half wall the rear left would not be in line with the front left. Please help me with this its driving me nuts. Let me know what to buy di's bi's or direct rad. and where to put them.
Thanks
Link Removed
click on the hometheaterroom pic. Let me know if this dosent work.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
My solution in similar case was to ceiling mount where you would normally place side (slightly behind listening position)and angle towrd the floor and the front (around 45 degrees). This left the rear two speakers (7.1) about 5 feet behind sides.

I tried ceiling sides angled toward listening position, but it was a very disorienting thing (too obvious to one ear or the other) after SPL. My current config is extraordinarily filling and even - especially since all engineering logic says I am sacraficing by aiming the speakers like this. It is really nice for multichannel stereo and I get great reviews from guests on DTS movies.

Probably not the ideal room, but I experimented to get to this point and believe I found my best option.

BTW this is with horns for tweets and sqwuaks - a very 'direct' approach....

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
So if I am understanding you correctly put the speakers on the sids and angle them down and to the front. Also what kind of speakers did you use bi's or di's or direct. I would like to know what kind you used for sides and rear.

Thanks

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
The 6.1-7.1 setup should have the back surrounds angled to the listening area. My side speakers are above ear level and not angled. Although it is different on the type of speaker(Di,Bipole). I'm going to be using 4 R3 swan diva dipole speakers for this. I've cut holes in my drywall and braced the inside so these things will not stick out as much. The last thing I want is someone to bump into my speakers. It's a shame because there beauty should be shown. Besides running the wire was so much easier.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
My apologies for brevity - the speakers are near the sides of the listening area and placed in the ceiling, 1.5 ft. behind the primary listening area. From primary listening position the left is 7.5 feet and the right is 8.5 feet (these measurements are speaker to near ear).

The speakers are Klisch Heresy - I guess they are about as direct as they get. Rears are also direct - Infinity's for fill. Heresy II for mains. The center is a very capable Acoustic Research AR2C (actually the find of the speakers - never expected such a good performer and decent match for horns - efficiency is a problem I address with channel levels) that will, however be replaced after I am successful at re -boxing a heresy tweeter and mid with some twist to give a full enough extension on the low end and not take up room in the same way as the Heresy. Will have either have a HSU or SVS product to replace existing boomy sub within 6 weeks.

Reciever is Denon 3802. That should about cover it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks