What's new

Speaker Placement and Distance Setting (1 Viewer)

AndyTod

Grip
I have a question about my rear speaker placement and distance setting on my rec. As it stands now I have my three rear speakers firing back wards from the listening position so the sound can bounce off the back wall. The question I have is should I set the speaker distance to include the distance to and from the back wall? For instance if the back wall is three feet from the speakers should I set the distance to six feet on the rec. Thanks for the advice.

Andy

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
Negative. It's the difference in distance from all front speakers to your ears and the distance from all rears/side speakers to your ears.

Dfronts - Dsides/rears = delay to add to rear channels.

Ex: My fronts, setup as an equilateral arc, are 9 feet away from my ears and the sides are 6 feet away from my ears. The difference is 3 feet then I set the rear delays to 4ms. 1ms = just under 1 foot distance.

If you want the K.I.S.S. method instead, just set rears to 5ms, according to Dolby Labs, and be done with it.

Hope this helps.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sort of new to the concept of setting up a delay. I understand that if the rears are closer to the listening position than the fronts, for example, that the sound from those speakers will arrive at my ears earlier than the sound from the fronts. Therefore a delay can be added to the rears to make it all arrive at the same time.

Here's what's confusing: my receiver (Yam HTR-5660) has settings for both speaker distance and delays. Is it wrong to think that the speaker distance setting is automatically creating the appropriate delay? This just occurred to me; I'll read my manual when I get home.

GeorgeTed

Auditioning
Does the ability to set delay/distance mean I can have the center front speakers mounted on top of the TV and the two side speakers mounted on the wall and behind the center speaker?

The dolby web site says to avoid having the center speakers closer than the side surrounds.

thanks...

g

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I always just setup my speakers the ACTUAL distance they are away from the listenig postion. Is this wrong?

DavidES

Stunt Coordinator
I always just setup my speakers the ACTUAL distance they are away from the listenig postion. Is this wrong?
Mr. Kall, if I understand you correctly, meaning all your speakers are equidistant from the listening spot, then that is the preferred way to do it. If not, you lost me.

Chapter 3 of this pdf file from Dolby Labs "Technical Information" section of their website has more information, specifically page 28 of 83.
BTW that whole file is an excellent resource.

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks