Speaker placement advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Albert Damico, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

Currently my front soundstage has my center channel sitting on top of my RPTV (this is the only place it can fit) and my main channel speakers, which are towers, sitting off to the sides, about 4' away from the TV. Looking at Dolby Lab's web site they suggest that all front sound stage speakers sit at the same height. My RPTV has two book shelves bookending it. These are substantial shelves and are the exact same height as my TV. Question, for HT only, would I get a better front sound stage by moving to quality bookshelf speakers and placing them the same height as my center?

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

How great is the difference in height between the tweeters on your towers and your center channel?

From what I understand, the main idea of keeping the speakers the same height (especially the tweeters) is to keep sound effects which pan across the front stage from jumping up and down (ie, low from your left, "up" to your center, and back down to your right).

So try some scenes with panning sound effects. If you don't hear a 'jump' in the height of the sound, you probably will not hear much difference if you changed to equal-height bookshelves.