What's new

Speaker placement (6.1) for new basement, need help... (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Hi everybody,
I am in the process of finishing my basement and I am having a problem with the placement of my rear speakers.
Look at the picture attached. The main problem has to with the rear center speakers. My room is about 14 ft. wide and 27 ft long. Do you think one rear center speaker will be fine or two will be needed. If I use two they will not equal distace from the front, does that matter? You will see in the picture that one of the rear center speaker will be farther back from the other one.
Need help...
Jeff Rice[ IMG]http://www.msu.edu/~ricefjef/room.htm[/IMG]
http://www.msu.edu/~ricefjef/room.htm

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Bring those side speakers forward untill they are only slightly behind the couch, and get the 2 rear speakers (7.1) forward also. Have you considered hanging the rear speakers from the ceiling? I think you would be much happier with the results! Dual subs? A little overkill maybe?

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Frank Zimkas,

The only way to get reference sound from a sub is that you must use two. I have two 20-39 CS+ subs and it made a big difference from one. When I listened to the Haunting the bass is strong and deep. When I had one sub it started to clip but two it did not. Movies that have a lot of deep bass (there are not that many) you need two to recreate the reference sound (which is loud).

Ok, I will do that with my rear speakers. I will see what I can do for my rear center speakers.

Jeff

Jim J

Second Unit
What Frank said about speaker placement.

I have a room similiar in size and layout to yours ~13x29. I am using one center surround close to the ceiling, kind of aimed up at the acoustic tiles, in an effort to help diffuse the sound. I think it works pretty well. (I wanted to stick with 6 identical speakers, yes, I know the rear will sound different than the others with its orientation, but anyway...)

As for sub. I have a 20-39CS+ driven by a carver amp that puts out about 400-500 watts. It is really loud. How much do you think you are going to listen at reference?

Well, I guess if you can do it, why not? :)

btw, how do you get to your seat?

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Jim J,

I will try that out with the speaker thing.

Two SVS subs are awesome (one is very good). I like a lot of bass and but I feel it more with two subs than one. That is one thing I notices right off the bat.

That picture is not to scale.

jeff

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since your room seems big enough to merit a 7.1 setup, i would recommend stands for your rear surrounds (if WAF isn't a problem). If stands aren't an option, I would recommend a single rear surround over 2 misplaced rear surrounds.
Also, if possible, bring the side surrounds up until they're just behind the couch.
Also, i think that 2 SVS subs is defiantly overkill and you should immediately send one of them to me! Email me for my shipping address :)
Hope this helps.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You're going to try all of the suggestions? When should i expect my SVS in the mail from you? *LOL* :)
Good luck and have fun!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Also have some issues on where to place my rears. Check my theater link below, I'm wondering if I could move my rears forward for better imaging

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Steve,

That was very funny but I will NOT send my second SVS to you. I love these subs!!!! Good laugh! My wife has very little to say about the basement because she gets the main floor and I get the basement. Our basement is pretty big so I have plenty of space for my stuff.

Don't you think putting the speakers on the wall (shelf) will be imaging in my room. I will take pictures and show everybody.

Dave,

I look at your site and I cannot see your rear speakers. Where? Your dog is funny, pomeranian? Is he a good dog? I was thinking of getting one of those one day but I do not know their tempermant.

Frank,

2700 watt amp????? WOW!!!!!!!! I do not think you need two. Can you really feel the bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks