What's new

Speaker Parts - What To Do? (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
I have four previously damaged (ripped cones) Infinity Systems Entre Three 6-1/2" (165mm) CMMD™ magnetically shielded Woofers.

Any suggestions as to what I could possibly make with these home repaired cones?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are better off replacing them with the correct driver, though this might not be entirely inexpensive. Since they have been discontinued, you might find the drivers are not so expensive. I would start by contacting Infinity.

I don't really think there is any way to repair this type of driver and have it sound the same. Some kind of thin, heavy tape might get them to work until you can get replacements, but they will not sound like new.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's summer time. Get a table down on the boardwalk at the beach and set the woofers face down on the table. Take a small Nerf ball, pick a festive color, and place it under a woofer. Then while interleaving the woofers on the table with your hands start calling out, "Guess which woofer has the colored ball and win $20." Might make enough to get some woofers that aren't broken. :D

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Both replies are great. Here's a bit more information. The woofers were damaged at Circuit City and replaced by Infinity. Tears were repaired using aluminum tape which you probably already know is very, very thin and extremely durable.

Although I know the sound will not be idenitical to the originals I hoped to build sometype of useful speaker.

I welcome additional replies.

LP

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I was only having some fun with you. Get the T/S parameters for the drivers and make a post over in the DIY area where you'll find lots of helpful people with a goodly amount of experience in building speakers.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
T/S or Thiel/Small parameters (do a web search and see examples at say partsexpress.com in their speaker section) characterize a speaker driver in a variety of ways. Knowledge of these parameters is very useful in say determining the optimum box size, whether the box can be ported or not, and so forth. Understand, this is an enormously trivialized explanation but understanding these parameters will help you figure out just how the final product, the speaker, needs to be constructed in order to give you a respectable sound.
You can try contacting the manufacturer or perhaps even PartsExpress or Madisound and they might be able to assist you. If you're hell bent on making speakers out of them, the DIY forum here, or at various other websites, should prove to be very helpful. Likely, since they're not full range drivers, you'll also need a tweeter and the necessary crossover. If you've got the time and some skill with soldering and woodworking it could make for a fun project.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks