Speaker Packages: Which would you get?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad Scott, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Agent

Limit is $600 for an entry-level package. Would like 4 bookshelves, a center and a sub. Room is 13 X 21, and would like it for both HT and music listening.

Considering Fluance, HTD, and Cambridge Soundworks. Possibly a used set of NHT SuperZeros/SuperOnes.

Best sound for modest budget: Which would you get?

2. John S

John S Producer

B&H has the 12" Sony powered sub for $134.95

One Call has:
    JBL S-center for $117.98
    JBL S-38II for $232.85 per pair

BestPriceUadioVideo has:
    JBL S26II for $159 per pair

This setup at just over $600 would be way beyond an entry level system.

Search around for even better pricing on them though, I came up with these prices with only cursory searches.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

You've got a real mixed bag there of different speaker designs.
    The used NHT set stands out. Keep in mind that an ideal set of bookshelf speakers for music should be a matched set of five identical speakers with a "really good" sub. You might have to up you're budget in that case to get an excellent sub.
    I like floorstanding speakers with the surrounds set back a couple of db's for music listening. I have the SX-HTB set by Fluance. The high, mid and low frequencies are full sounding with no distortion. Match that with a good sub like the Hsu stf-1 and you'll have a good set for music and theater for $600.

4. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

I agree with John, check out those JBLs, I think for the ~$600 price tag, you'd be very happy with those.