What's new

Speaker package under $1000 (1 Viewer)

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the Denon 2802 receiver, and I need some ideas on a good, reasonably priced speaker package under $1000. I have read that Energy 5.2 and the JBL NSP-1 are good. Can someone else recommend a good 5.1 home theater package? I have read that Acoutistic Research HC series are pretty good. I need to go to a dealer to decide and hear what I like. I hope someone can help me.

Vasanth B

Stunt Coordinator
Let me second the recommendation of the PSB Image series. That's what I just bought for my first HT system and they are awesome! The sound is very musical, laid back...not too bright. They have a slightly forward midrange which makes for good voice reproduction in a movie. I'd take a good look at www.yawaonline.com They have good prices on "B" stock and great service. For the $1k, I assume you want to include a sub. If that's the case, go for the Image 1Bs all around and the 8C center which is matched to the 1B. They are compact bookshelf speakers that don't sacrifice too much on sound. For a budget sub, take a look at the Sony WM-40 which delivers great bang-for-buck in a hometheater. A more musical sub will cost you more, around $400. I'd suggest the Adire Rava which will put you right at $1000 for the whole set.
Also, take a look at the Definitive Technology ProCinema 80. Skip the included DT sub on that set, though as there are better subs for the money.

Sean-D

Agent
Hello Perrin,
I get this question all the time from people who don't want to spend a fortune on speakers. I put together home theater systems as a side business.
Here's what I recommend under $1000:
KLIPSCH SYNERGY SYSTEM 6 (5-channel surround speakers + subwoofer)
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Retail Price: $999 for the complete package.
(Most dealers will separate the sub from the package and sell you the 5-speaker surround package if that's what you want to do.) (-400)
Puts some higher priced speaker packages to shame. Check them out for your self and see what I'm talking about.You won't be disappointed.
I also love the ENERGY TAKE 5.2 system. Keep in mind that the package is a 5-speaker surround sound package only. A sub is not included in the deal, and will cost extra.
Retail Price: $899
Surround sound performance is outstanding. Sounds very good with music also.
Either one should sound fantastic with your new receiver.
(the Denon 2802 was a very good choice) :)
Remember one thing perrin, any speaker recommendation is highly subjective. You should listen to the speakers that you are thinking about buying with your own ears. You may or may not like a particular speaker system for various reasons. Buy what sounds good to you.
Post back later and let us know what you decided to get.
Hope this helps you out. Good luck.
wink.gif

Just my .02 cents.
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed,...remove all evidence that you ever tried."

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i second the PSB and the Axiom packages. i have heard the PSBs and highly recommend them; i've only read reviews on the Axioms. both are great speakers...try to get a demo of the PSBs from a dealer in your area.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

David Head

Second Unit
I'll add my vote for PSB speakers . You could any of the following PSB Image speaker packages for less than $1000:
1B - 8C - 1B
3LR - 8C - 1B
4T - 8C - 1B
You should be able to get an inexpensive sub like the Sony SAM-W40 and be close to you $1000 limit. You can listen to PSB speakers at your local dealer:
Speaker Lab
6220 Roosevelt Way N.E.
Seattle, WA 98115
206-523-2175
Good luck in your shopping.
David

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
Perrin, I'm in the same boat as you. So far I've purchased the Boston Accoutics 8000 (not very good) and the JBL's. The NSP1 consists of 4 N24's which were too small sounding for me. I went to Best Buy and picked out the N26 (front) N24 (rear), N-Center and the PB10 sub. The whole package was $807 with tax or you can buy online for about $200 less. I'm pretty happy with these but you don't hear people talk about them very much. I'd still love to hear the Energy 5.2's but I don't have a local dealer. Keep me posted on your progress.
BTW: I have the denon 1802.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
I am going to second Sean-D's idea of the klipsch system w /a modification...try the sb2's as mains (w/the 2802 running them in "small" mode you will get a lot of front stage impact and dynamics, and they "marry" well with the denon amps),then go for the sc1 center( I think that klipsch has a sc.5, which I can't vouch for),use the ksw10 sub( covering 80hz and below)and as for surrounds , either sb1's or the ss1's(which are a bit more expensive but my preferance)...I think klipsch offers ss.5's but I don't carry them and would think that the system I outlined could still be had from a retailer(b & m) for @ $1,000...
My feeling is that an efficient bookshelf speaker system can com a lot closer to a "theater" sound than ANY little "satelite" speaker package....this has to do with impact, crossover points, displacement of air,etc. ,and I spend much of my time convincing people who are looking at in-expensive or "relatively small" speaker packages that this type of system(bookshelf type speakers) will out perform the tiny sattelite type speakers for not much (if any) more money!!!!!!!!good luck

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone for their replies. I will have to go to some dealers to hear for myself what I like the best. I might try out the Energy 5.2 or the Klipsch home theater package.
Perrin

BryanZ

Screenwriter
You could also go with the wood Link Removed for $775 for a 4.0 package and get a Klipsch KSW-12 sub. Perhaps you may even want to spend a bit more and pick up the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 package w/HSU VTF-2 sub for $1,100. Good luck!

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
Cool ,can I go and hear some nohr's somewhere ? Who in the york, pa area will let me come to there house and hear them, also if the same people would have a svs sub ,that would be helpful as well...

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
I went to the nOrh web site to see the 4.0 speaker package. I have never seen such weird looking speakers. They look like bongo drums that are sideways. How do they sound?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
You could go with 4 Paradigm reference 20s and a their CC.
CDN list is 800 per pair and 600 for the CC.
Total price: $2200 CDN. My dealer will give 25% off. If you can negotiate I would hope other dealers would do the same. So $1650 CDN which is about $1000. Then you would still have to add a sub
confused.gif

------------------
Link Removed
The Newest Sonotube
Gregg's DVDs
The Family Units

John Gates

Second Unit
I went to the nOrh web site to see the 4.0 speaker package. I have never seen such weird looking speakers. They look like bongo drums that are sideways. How do they sound?
Perrin,
You are right, they are weird looking. :) However, they are the best sounding speakers I have heard in this price range. You really do need a sub with these for HT, but they have the cleanest midrange I have heard (by far) in this price range. The sweet spot is MILES wide. Yes, they look weird, but the design of the cabinet has some sonic value (decreases standing waves in the cabinet) AND it's one heck of a conversation piece. Ownership value of the nOrh 4.0 is VERY high (IMHO).
Do yourself a favor and find someone in your area who owns these, and go check them out. :) They are AT LEAST worth a look.
John

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
My vote is for the energy encore which I've had for about a year now. I've seen it as low as $995 on yahoo shopping.
The quality of sound I get from these speakers is simply amazing.
------------------
Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
hulk.jpg
3EMS Hometheater

perrin

Stunt Coordinator
Yesterday, I received my new Denon receiver 2802, and I like it very much. It was a pain to set it up. But once everything was hooked up, I put The Phantom Menace dvd in my dvd player, and I was blown away. I am using my roommate's speakers temporily until I get my own set of speakers.
Also, I went to Magnolia Hifi to look at their speakers. The salesman showed me the Boston Acoustics CR65 for $199/pair and the CR75 for $400/pair as well as the CRC,the center channel, for $200. Plus, he showed me the subwoofer PV600 for $450. That would be little over $1000, and I like the sound. Has anyone else heard these speakers?
I am also thinking of getting the Home Theater Direct III since a lot of people like these speakers, and the sound very good compared to the more expensive brands.
I am thinking of going to a dealer who has the Paradigm speakers, so I can listen to them. I might get their Home Cinema speaker package.
I hope someone can help me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks