Speaker overkill: Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin Lundberg, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Kevin Lundberg

I'm seriously thinking of switching my speakers over to Paradigm P90 v2 (to save cost). SIX of them. (2) ea mains, (2) ea Centers and (2) ea rear surrounds. Other than cost, is there any reason not to surround myself with these incredible monitors? I won't be able to locate all six at once so I will purchase and add to the system as they come up for sale.

With the bass these speakers are capable of is it possible they will replace a subwoofer?

I'll use them with the following equipment. Is it necessary to have a powered speaker?

Components:
    Anthem AVM-20 Series II Digital Processor
    Anthem MCA-5 Series II Amplifier - 200 watts per channel
    Anthem MCA-3 Series II Amplifier - 200 watts per channel

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

It's possible, but it will never hurt anything.

The 90P will not allow you to replace a sub. None of the main stream powered towers do well in the last couple octaves. Even the biggest Def Tech powered towers don't.

Nousaine measured the Paradigm PRD10 as having 2dB more output than a single 90P tower in an average of maximum output with a 10% THD limit in the 25-63hz range.

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/T...Sub%20Data.htm

I'm not sure what the 90P costs but it has to be pretty close to the Studio40. I think you'd be much better off with 6 Studio40 monitors (maybe Studio60 towers) and a good sub than 6 90P towers. Especially with the preamp/amps you have.

3. Kevin Lundberg

Dustin, Thanks for the advise. I'm starting to finalize my plans. Currently looking at a total of 8 Studio's.

Mains 100's
    Front sides 40's
    Rear side surround's 40's
    Rear surrounds CC570

Here's the thinking and I'm not sure its going to work. What channel would I drive my front sides? Center channel?
    I'm going with 40's on the sides so I can move them around. How close to the wall can I run my CC570's?

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

The only thing out there that has "Front Sides" so to speak is the Yamaha with its DSP modes and they call it the "Front effects" channel. For that channel, the 40's are WAYYYYYYYY overkill. I personally don't care for Yamaha anyway.

For a typical 7.1 theater you need:
    Fronts: ---> Studios 100's
    Center: ---> CC570
    Rear Surrounds --> 40's or ADP's
    Sides/Rear Centers --> Would suggest 40's, 20's or ADP's.
    .1 ---> Subwoofer of your choice. I like SVS myself.

Me personally I'd go with ADP's as your "rears" and then for your rear center I'd go with 20's or 40's. Personally I think 40's are overkill here so I'd go with 20's and save a few bucks.

Then you would need an amp to power those. Get something with 7 channels or go with multiple amps(7 Mono blocks, a 2 channel and a 5 channel). I wouldn't trust a receiver to power all 7 to a decent level even the big $4,000+ ones.

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Kevin L: just remember you don't HAVE to use a subwoofer in your HT system if you don't want to. The speakers you are looking at (three 7" woofers in a ported enclosure!) may provide plenty of the type of bass you like to hear.

Not everyone enjoys having their internal organs turned into jello everytime a bomb explodes on-screen or Mr. Peart uses his bass drum.

LJ

6. Kevin Lundberg

If I go with a sub it will be the SVS PB2+

Also, I'll be piecing this system together gradually. Starting out with the 40's. I'll see how they sound and go from there.

I'm trying to figure out how to get 4 side speakers to work with my Anthem setup show in the top of this thread. I want my 100's located in a good location for listening to music in 2-channel stereo. Any suggestions?

Speaker cable suggestions for the Studio series? Currently I'm using Audioquest Type 4.

7. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

Using the PB2+ would allow you to use smaller monitors all around since it does such a great job of handling the lower end. Setting the surround channels to small actually sounds better to alot of forum members.I was sceptical until I set my Polk towers up this way. I found that the mids and highs were much cleaner once I set it to small. I guess just taking the lowest of bass material away allowed them to more clearly define the higher ranges.

I agree that the 100's for music need to be set up for proper soundstage, but this may not be the best for HT. I find HT spacing for fronts to be smaller than for music listening. Gaps in the soundstage become evident during sweeps if the speakers are too far apart.

Just my .02,

Dennis

8. Kevin Lundberg

Okay, I've narrowed my decision. Bigger is not better. After some reading this is my current speaker decision.

SVS PB2+ sub
    Paradigm Studio 40's front L/R on stands
    Paradigm Studio CC-570 center
    Paradigm Studio ADP-470 rear L/R on stands
    Paradigm Studio ADP-470 surround L/R on stands

Will this be an awesome 7.1 surround system to compliment my component setup as listed above?

Does anyone know where Paradigm MSRP can be located?

Kevin

9. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

My dream system consists of 7 Bowers and Wilkins Nautilus's. With an SVS SS for each channel. Thats a bit over kill.

10. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

Awesome would describe the choices you have made. Overkill would be another decription for the processor and amps, unless you already have them, or are putting them into a large dedicated theater. With sub, you are looking at over 2000 watts of available power.

If this is a living room setup, can you say "Big block Chevy in a Yugo"?

If you haven't already purchased the electronics end of your system, I would look into the Harman Kardon 7200 receiver @ around $800 now. Originally a $2000 list.

Where in KS. are you?

Dennis

11. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I'd stick with the Anthem prepro over ANY receiver. With 200 wpc you will never have to worry about buying any more speakers that you can't drive with those amps.

If you can afford overkill, I like that better than underkill anyday.

12. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Kevin,
    That latest combo looks good.

If you want the MSRP, Let me know or I will post it here. I have it according to the "end of the year" magazines that the various audio pubs put out. They have the MSRP in them.