Speaker options (another one)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveChrist, Apr 25, 2002.

1. SteveChrist

SteveChrist Extra

I'm sorry guys/gals, I don't like these type of posts but I find myself in a di-lemma.

my current system:

New Tosh. 42H81 16x9

New JVC SA-70 DVD

(very old but still good) Onkyo TX-SV444 [sur] 60w frnt/cntr, 20w rear.

Mains: Technics flr stnd 200w/100wDIN(?) 90db

center: Technics 160w/80wDIN 87db

Surr: Technics 80w/40DIN 81db (small cube type)

sub: New Yamaha 200w

Listening room: small, est. 15'x20'

My dilemma:

I'm looking to upgrade my receiver to....an Onkyo 700 (when avail). I've considered H/K 520 and Denon even the Onk 797 (not sure if I want "THX").

With the new Onk rated at 100w, I was looking to possibly upgrade my rear surrounds. Then I got to thinking (here's the bad part) that I could get the JBL NSP1 setup (fairly inexpensive). But, after listening (albeit open floor store conditions) to the N24, N26 & N28, I was thinking about this setup...N28 mains (had more bass and "depth" than N26) and N24 (surr) with of course the N-center.

This is more than I wanted to spend on top of the new receiver. My biggest concern is overpowering the surrounds.

I'm open to suggestions.

As always, THANKS to forums like this and the people in them for sharing their experiences and knowledge.

Steve

ps. Phil T., How are those N24's for your mains? Do they have good spatial range? IOW, do they "fill" the room or are they "isolated"?

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Welcome to HTF - Steve!