speaker option

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Nir, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Nir

Nir Auditioning

Jun 26, 2003
    i actually thought about this for a while but since im setting up a new system i wanted to ask something.
    i have a toshiba 50inch tv. i always wanted to try and hide the center speaker but it seems silly and not in order at all. then it came to me. is it actually possible to use the mounted double speakers in the toshiba tv as a CENTER speaker? how can i do this?
  2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Dec 13, 2001
    Yes, it is possible to do that. Some TV's come already set up for this with spring terminals connected directly to the internal speakers. If yours does not you'll need to open up the TV, disconnect wires going to the speakers, and put on your own connected (perhaps through spring clips or binding posts) to your reciever/amplifier.

However (!!!!) this will in general sound pretty poor compared to a real center channel. One issue as that it won't be voice matched to your mains. The other issue as that speakers build into TVs are generally just of fairly poor quality. Most TV buyers aren't very interested in sound quality, and if they are they have stereo system anyways, so manufacturers have no incentive to put good speakers in. If you open it up you'll most likely find one or more 2" (4" if you lucky) drivers in a plastic enclosure. Likely to not even find a tweeter or crossover.
    Oh, and even a 100W amplifier might just be too much for them, and they'd break all together when you tried to crank them.

So don't worry about it so much, and just enjoy your nice center channel.

On an unrelated note, I've always wondered why people insist on having stereo speakers in a TV, especially in the small 19-27" ones. Does anyone really expect to get any kind of stereo separation with speakers 20" apart when you're sitting 6' away? Although I suppose it's just J6P perception of "stereo=good, mono=bad"... I still find it funny...

Anyways, enjoy the big TV, I'm jealous [​IMG]
    -- Dave