What's new

Speaker ohm ratings question (1 Viewer)

Jason Cheung

Agent
Hi,

I have a panasonic 5.1 receiver with output of 100Watts a channel. I also have 2 50Watt speakers with a 16 Ohm impedance on them. I plan to use these speakers as rears. But on the back of the receiver and in the receiver's manual, it says to plug in speakers that have a 6-8 ohm impedance.

With the above setup, I have 3 main questions;

1) Should I plug those 16 ohm speakers into the receiver?

2) What happens if I do?

3) If I shouldn't, why is it not a good idea?

Thanks for your help!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
1) sure

2) they'll make sound if they're working

3) see 1 & 2 above

Those admonitions are typically meant with the thought that a person might attach something like 4 ohm speakers in which case the speakers might not be able to be driven too loudly as the amp will lack the current necessary at demanding volumes. Some receivers go into protection mode, others clip. You're pretty safe with the 16's.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Yes, you only need to worry about using too low an impedance, if your amp can't deliver the current.

Jason Cheung

Agent
Thanks guys!

I actually emailed panasonic and they told me I would damage the amp by doing that. But they didnt tell me why so it sounded like the support guy on the other end was just trying to give the safest answer possible.

I'll trust you guyses' answers because I had another friend who is into audio stuff tell me the same thing -I only have to worry about low impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks