What's new

speaker number question (1 Viewer)

thoslhall

Auditioning
Real Name
Tom
Can I get adequate performance for movie viewing with just the 3 "front" speakers? I am only looking to have a good home viewing experience (as not having idiots talking and being able to pause a DVD player makes the home experience FAR superior to a public theater, IMO). My only available home "theater" room is horribly cockeyed requiring the TV to be offset to a corner of the room and there is absolutely no reasonable way to put in rear or side speakers. I will consider adding a subwoofer later. I also have a very satisfying "mid-fi" 2 channel music system in another room (also extremely inadequate for a home "theater"). Thanks, Tom Hall.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Well, three in the front is certainly better than nothing at all. However, you can't get a real "surround sound" experience without rear speakers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Tom

I think that you can get quite a good experience with three front speakers. True enough you won’t get surround, but for a good many contemporary movies, the surround is nothing but a very minor part of the sound. And of course there are many, many great and not so great movies made before surround, or even stereo. For all of those ‘classic’ films, you will miss nothing at all.

Of course if you love modern action movies, you might well consider alternatives already suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks