Speaker maximum input power Question?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by ArnaudP, Nov 21, 2003.

1. ArnaudP

ArnaudP Stunt Coordinator

In my search for my perfect speakers ($1000 max for Front LR, $700 for Center), I came accross the JM Lab Cobalt 806s.
    My concern is regarding the advertised Max power handling for these speakers. It says 60W max under "recommended amp" but my receiver (Denon 3803) is 7 x 110 W. Is this something to really be concerned about?
    The CC800s says 80W for recommended amp.
    Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Your receiver will deliver a maximum of 110w, but it will not deliver this continuously, and the draw of the speakers under normal operating conditions will not be in that range. I don't think it will be a problem. As long as you don't crank it to distortion, you will not damage the speakers. Have you listened to the speakers? Are the speakers 8 Ohm? If not, then you might have more of a concern.

3. rserda

rserda Auditioning

Being so excited to purchase a surround sound system for my 14x12 room i purchased the yamaha ns-sp7800pn 5.1 speakers and the yamaha HTR-6240bl and didnt realize that the max input for the speakers was 100W and the rms for the reciever is 105Wx5 will this blow out my speakers? if so, is there something i can purchase to put before the speakers so as to limit the watts going into the speakers? i have the speakers now and i am just waiting for the reciever to b delivered next week

thanks for helping in advance

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

5. rserda

rserda Auditioning

thanks! im super pumped! cant wait to get the reciever i already set out and mounted the speakers and am just waiting for UPS to get here... next week :/