Speaker matching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Willem Vos, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

How important is having matching speakers, with which I mean having speakers of the same make.

I currently have Mission speakers all-round, but I am thinking of getting B&W 603 front speakers.

Is this a bad idea, seeing as they have different drivers?

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The front three should match the fronts. The rears are not the most important, but some will argue that they should be the same as well. You want the front 3 to be not only from the same manufacturer, but also from the same family of speakers. They are timbre matched to produce the same type of sound. You want the front 3 to timbre match so you get a seamless transition across the soundstage. Different speakers have different characteristics and will sound different, so as sound travels across the front, it will change, and that will be noticable.

3. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Youre 2 channel listening would most likely improve but multi channel would suffer. I went through a similar delema when I fell in love with a set of Sonus Faber Concertos. I had Mirage at all four coners and the matching center at the time and adding the Sonus Fabers to the mix collapsed my 3D sound field I worked so hard at achieving. Since 4 Concertos would put me over budget I compromised and bought 4 Concertinos and the matching center. While not as full bodied as the Concertos, the Concertinos fell into place nicely after carfully matching the sub to them. While not discussed in this fourm enogh, matching of all speakers is critical IMO.

4. Willem Vos

Willem Vos Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys, I was a little worried that I might have to save up for 5 new speakers...

I actually have same brand, but not matching family right now: I'm using (Mission) m71's (newer) as fronts, 700's as rears and a 70C1 as center.

I'll have to try the 700's as fronts.