speaker matching??

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by SethStrich, Jan 11, 2006.

1. SethStrich

SethStrich Auditioning

HI there....I'm a newbie.
    I have 9 year old velodyne ld-2/ld-3c front and center speakers, currently driven by a denon 3803. The front L and R speakers are gone....marked static or reverb with any music playing (they are used exclusively for movie watching). The speakers are not made any more. I am not as sensitive to nuances of sound as many of you audiophiles. If I replace the front L and R with something else (NHT, PolK, etc), but keep my current Velodyne center speaker, will this be a problem? I spoke to Velodyne, and fixing current speakers may be impossible (they're not sure they still have parts), and would likely not be much less than replacing them. I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks, Seth

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

No, it won't be a problem. It'd be like having slightly different color lightbulbs in a pair of lamps. If the thought of that bothers you...

I ran several center / main combinations, including NHT SuperOne x3, Athena AS-B1 x3, Infinty / Yamaha mismatch, and now AS-B1 / C1.

B1 / C1 is about the best. My surrounds are still NHT, but I'm beyond the point of caring about it now, kinda worn out on equipment. Now I just watch movies.

3. SethStrich

SethStrich Auditioning

Thanks much. SDS

4. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya SethS,

Not recommended but if you like it who is to say otherwise..
    Just a suggestion here but can't you get a current line of velodyne LCR or bookshelves, at least the timber would be close...

Regards.
    Dsvid SGT