Speaker matching

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dave H., Mar 3, 2005.

1. Dave H.

Dave H. Auditioning

Hi Folks, Can anyone explain the importance of speaker matching or voice matching? Can I mix different brands and still have a decent surround system. Any suggestions on a 5.1 surround sound speaker system? Budget of around $800.00 Thanks, Dave H.

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Many are now applying the same recommendation in their home HT's by re-creating the same sonic seamless surround environment used @ the Mixing Studios (at the very least identical speakers for the Front, Side and Rear Center Channel locations w/timbre-matched Center) that designed our blockbuster DD/DTS-5.1/6.1 seamless discrete surround mix!

Phil

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    YES, you can use different brands of speakers, but that means you actually have to listen to a bunch of speakers until you find ones that match... It's a LOT easier to just get matching speakers - at the very least, the front three should match well. The surrounds can be somewhat different, but it will still sound better with them as closely matched as possible in the end.

I use 3 identical speakers across the front.

4. AlbertD

AlbertD Stunt Coordinator

John's advice is both solid and correct. At the very least all three front speakers should be the same. And in a perfect world, aligned the same ie: all placed vertically.

5. Dave H.

Dave H. Auditioning

Thanks too all, You have covinced me, Time to go speaker shopping. Thanks again. Dave H.