Speaker matching

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Butler, Sep 13, 2001.

1. Mark Butler

Mark Butler Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased a 3 speaker set of Pioneer speakers. When I went to test them I noticed that the right speaker is much sweeter sounding than the other two. I know I should probably use the right one for my center channel to anchor the sound so that it isn't to noticibly different. However I am worried that this speaker is not magnetically shielded like the true center speaker and it is not designed to lay horizontally on the tv like my true center speaker. Should I move it or should I leave where it is and try to modulate the decible levels going to each speaker to make them sound the same. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

What model #s are they?

3. Mark Butler

Mark Butler Stunt Coordinator

They are HTP702-CR

4. Zacha R

Zacha R Stunt Coordinator

From looking at the Pioneer Canada website ( http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/HomeP roducts/POC_Eng_HomeProductDetails/0,1850,2285,00.html ), I would say that your instincts are correct:
    It appears that only the centre channel is magnetically sheilded. And that the centre is only meant to operate on its side, the main speakers standing up.
    Try balancing the output levels, like you were thinking. Apparently, different dB levels for the L/R pair is common.
    There's a 1dB difference between my mains. Good luck.
    [Edited last by Zacha R on September 14, 2001 at 11:09 AM]
    [Edited last by Zacha R on September 14, 2001 at 11:10 AM]

5. KevinMcL

KevinMcL Agent

I wouldn't put that thing near my tv! Personally, I'd open the other two up, and see if I could'nt change out the cap on the x-over. This can make a difference. Are your cables equidistant from your receiver? Just ideas.