Speaker matching question - Frequency Response.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Derouen, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Robert Derouen

I'm still a newbie as far as technical aspects of speakers go. I am trying to find the best surrounds to match some Klipsch KSF-10.5's as mains and a Klipsch KSP-C6 as center. I am told that it is best to match your surrounds specs as close as possible to the rest of your speakers.

In comparing the specs of the center and mains, everything looks basically the same except in Frequency Response;

Mains Frequency Response: 36Hz-20kHz+3dB

Center Frequency Response: 63Hz-20kHz+3dB

They quit making these models a few years ago so I will probably be buying a non-Klipsch surround with similiar specs or building my own. Should I match the surrounds with the 63Hz, the 36Hz, or does it matter?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Frequency response would not be the deciding factor. What you want is speakers that sound similar, and this has less to do wtih their frequency response than it does with the type and material of the drivers, crossover and cabinet design. If you stick with Klipsch, with at least a similar tweeter, you should have no problems.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Robert,

Maybe you could find the rest of your speaker set one-bay or something.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt